Is File Sharing Ethical for Libertarians?

• Thread starter kasse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    File
In summary, libertarians generally think that file sharing is okay as long as the people doing it aren't breaking any laws.
kasse
What should libertarians think about file sharing?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's a libertarian?

drankin said:
What's a libertarian?

A classical liberal. Someone who believes in limited governmental regulation, both socially and fiscally.

Aren't people supposed to think for themselves?

Why 'should'? There is no 'should' in politics; it's all up to you and your beliefs, party positions be damned. If you're a libertarian, what do you think about file sharing?

Libertarians respect personal property, but can music be regarded private property?

kasse said:
Libertarians respect personal property, but can music be regarded private property?

As opposed to what, public property? :uhh:

kasse said:

Its considered 'Intellectual property'.

It depends on how much of a free marketer you are I suppose. Copyright is a form of government regulation intended to spur creative and intellectual endeavour by protecting the creator's ability to profit off of their work. If you think that the government should not be intervening in such things then perhaps you would not agree with copyright protection. You may also see the law as a necessary requirement to maintain fair competition.

Either way I think most libertarians would disagree with many aspects of current copyright law. I typed up a rather long diatribe against current copyright law in another thread. I'll find it if you are interested in reading it.

Cyrus said:
Aren't people supposed to think for themselves?

I agree with whatever Cyrus says.

drankin said:
What's a libertarian?
A cannibal that only eats people who work with books

I would reason that a typical libertarian believes that if he or she buys a song, he or she rightly owns it and should legally be able to play and share it with friends, but no further than the extent to which they might share non-copyable goods, such as food or games.

A library is all about sharing and librarians should get with the program.

KingNothing said:
I would reason that a typical libertarian believes that if he or she buys a song, he or she rightly owns it and should legally be able to play and share it with friends, but no further than the extent to which they might share non-copyable goods, such as food or games.
So they think that they should be allowed to read a centuries old fairy tale to the children at bed time without buying a separate client access license for each child? (And a performance license for the act of reading it allowed.)

On the one hand file sharing cheats the authors out of their full potential profits. On the other hand, it raises the level of education and quality of life for EVERYONE. I think that a lot of the rapid advancements of the last 10 years are due in large part to illegal file sharing, which allow information to be disseminated rapidly to anyone who wants it, without monetary boundaries...and I think that the overall effect on our economy and quality of life is enormously positive.

There is nothing wrong with file sharing. If the former OP meant illegal distribution of copyrighted material. No. Locked.

1. Is file sharing considered theft for libertarians?

No, libertarians generally believe in the principles of individual freedom and property rights. They believe that as long as no one is being harmed or their property rights violated, sharing files should not be considered theft.

2. How does file sharing align with libertarian ideology?

File sharing aligns with libertarian ideology as it promotes the free market and individual rights. It allows for the free exchange of information and ideas without government intervention or restrictions.

3. Are there any ethical concerns with file sharing for libertarians?

Some libertarians may argue that file sharing goes against the concept of intellectual property rights. However, others believe that information should be freely accessible and that intellectual property laws restrict innovation and creativity.

4. Can file sharing be beneficial for the economy from a libertarian perspective?

Yes, file sharing can be beneficial for the economy as it allows for the spread of knowledge and ideas, which can lead to innovation and economic growth. It also promotes competition and can drive down prices for consumers.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to file sharing for libertarians?

Some libertarians may argue that file sharing can potentially harm creators and artists by devaluing their work and depriving them of income. However, others believe that file sharing can actually benefit creators by increasing exposure and potentially leading to more opportunities for profit.