1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fill rate question

1. Jan 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A bottle with a volume of 183 U. S. fluid gallons is filled at the rate of 1.7 g/min. (Water has a density of 1000 kg/m3, and 1 U.S. fluid gallon = 231 in.3.) In years, how long does the filling take?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Volume -> 42273 Units in.^3 -> 692730.3565 Units cm^3 -> .6927303565 Units m^3

But after this finding the mass of water and the fill rate I get messed up. I know is just simple conversion but I'm messing something up down the line.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2008 #2
    Well first, I can't really follow your work and only have trusty windows calculator if I wanted to, so I'll just say...

Actually yes I can, I see, you figured out how many cubic meters 183 gallons is, right?

If water has a density of 1000 kg/m^3, that's saying a m^3 of water has a mass of 1000 kg. You want to find out how much mass is in .6927 m^3. Can you do that? That's just a simple conversion or ratio or whatever you wanna call it. So you need x g of water(you find x)

Then you know you have 1.7g/min, so convert that to xg/zyears, and you're looking for z, if there's 1.7 grams every minute, how many years are there for every x grams?

Here's a fun thing google calculator does

but remember you won't have it on a test, so just use it to check your answers confidently
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?