Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Fill rate question

1. Jan 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A bottle with a volume of 183 U. S. fluid gallons is filled at the rate of 1.7 g/min. (Water has a density of 1000 kg/m3, and 1 U.S. fluid gallon = 231 in.3.) In years, how long does the filling take?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Volume -> 42273 Units in.^3 -> 692730.3565 Units cm^3 -> .6927303565 Units m^3

But after this finding the mass of water and the fill rate I get messed up. I know is just simple conversion but I'm messing something up down the line.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2008 #2
    Well first, I can't really follow your work and only have trusty windows calculator if I wanted to, so I'll just say...

Actually yes I can, I see, you figured out how many cubic meters 183 gallons is, right?

mmk

If water has a density of 1000 kg/m^3, that's saying a m^3 of water has a mass of 1000 kg. You want to find out how much mass is in .6927 m^3. Can you do that? That's just a simple conversion or ratio or whatever you wanna call it. So you need x g of water(you find x)

Then you know you have 1.7g/min, so convert that to xg/zyears, and you're looking for z, if there's 1.7 grams every minute, how many years are there for every x grams?

Here's a fun thing google calculator does
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&q=183+gallons+to+m^3

but remember you won't have it on a test, so just use it to check your answers confidently

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook