How to Fill a 7.2m Pool in 2 Hours

• Thread starter cscott
  • Start date
In summary, the pool has a volume of 61.1m and the hose has a flow rate of 8.9 x 10^-3 m/s. It will take approximately 2 hours to fill the pool to a depth of 1.5m using a 5/8-inch diameter hose. However, there may be inaccuracies in the measurement conversions and the time estimate might be longer if corrected.
cscott
A 5/8-inch diameter hose is used to fill a round pool 7.2 m in diameter. How long will it take to fill it to a depth of 1.5 m if water leaves the hose at 0.28 m/s?

[tex]V_{pool} = \pi(3.6)^2 \cdot 1.5 = 61.1 \mbox{m}[/tex]

[tex]5/8 in = 0.127m, r_{hose} = 0.063.5[/tex]

[tex]V/s = \pi(0.063.5)^2 \cdot 0.28 = 8.9 \cdot 10^{-3}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{61.1}{8.9 \cdot 10^{-3}} = 6865.2 s = 2 h[/tex]

Look ok?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
no.
0.127m = 5 inches, not 5/8 of an inch.

tony873004 said:
no.
0.127m = 5 inches, not 5/8 of an inch.

:rofl: that would make sense. I guess my converter doesn't like fractions.

Besides that, is the method ok?

Hmm... I get 13 days if I fix the conversion (d = 0.0159m.) This seems like a bit much.

Last edited:
cscott said:
Hmm... I get 13 days if I fix the conversion (r = 0.0159m.) This seems like a bit much.
The method sounds right to me.
This is a huge pool to be filled with a tiny hose! several day si snot surprising to me.

The hose is 5/8 inch diameter, not radius. But yes, the method works withthe correct numbers.

Alright, thanks!

1. How much water is needed to fill a 7.2m pool?

The amount of water needed to fill a 7.2m pool depends on the depth of the pool. If the pool is 1.2m deep, you will need approximately 15,552 liters of water.

2. How long will it take to fill a 7.2m pool?

Filling a 7.2m pool in 2 hours means filling it at a rate of approximately 129.6 liters per minute. This can vary depending on the water pressure and size of the hose used.

3. How can I fill a 7.2m pool in 2 hours?

To fill a 7.2m pool in 2 hours, you will need a hose with a high flow rate and good water pressure. It may also be helpful to have more than one person filling the pool to speed up the process.

4. Can I use hot water to fill a 7.2m pool?

Yes, you can use hot water to fill a 7.2m pool. However, it may take longer to fill the pool compared to using cold water, as hot water has a lower density and therefore a lower flow rate.

5. Can I use a pump to fill a 7.2m pool?

Yes, a pump can be used to fill a 7.2m pool. However, make sure the pump is powerful enough to fill the pool in 2 hours and that it is safe to use with water.