Filling an Empty Tank: Calculating Pressure & Temp

• Archived
  • Thread starter chellam2206
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Empty Tank
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of static pressure and temperature inside a cylindrical object reentering at a Mach number of 25 and an altitude of 80 km. The problem involves a small orifice on the cylinder and the formation of a normal shock. The process for solving the problem is described in two steps, including the assumption of the cylinder as a CD nozzle and the use of isentropic relations. The conversation also mentions the density of air at 80 km and the potential need for more complex formulas due to the decrease in atmospheric pressure at that altitude. The location and size of the orifice are also questioned.
chellam2206
Hi,

A cylindrical object is reentering at a Mach number of say 25 at an altitude of 80 km. I like to calculate static pressure and static temperature inside the cylinder.

Yes Obvious, normal shock will form. But the problem is a small orifice (say 20 cm ) is available in the cylinder, the air starts entering the cylinder through this orifice until the total pressure outside is equal to inside pressure.

I have solved/attempted this problem in the following way

Step1: I assumed cylinder as a CD nozzle having convergent portion ,orifice (as throat) and divergent portion as my cylindrical volume and also assumed sonic flow in throat. Since I know the critical mass flow rate, I calculated the density inside the cylinder and using the isentropic relation I calculated the Mach number (Initially flow reaches supersonic speed in the cylinder) inside the cylinder and subsequently pressure and temperature also calculated. This process exist until static pressure inside reaches the pressure at throat.
Step2: Reduction in Mach number from 1 to 0 until it reaches the outside pressure.

Is this process is correct? Static temperature inside the cylinder also will reach the temperature behind the shock?

Physics news on Phys.org
At 80km, is the air dense enough to use continuum mechanics? Otherwise you might have to employ more interesting formulas.

We loose about half the atmosphere every 5.5Km of altitude. So by my calculations, at 80km we would be down to 0.03Torr - or about 1/24000 what we have at the surface. That's still plenty dense.

But getting back to the OP. Is this a closed cylinder? Where is the orifice? If it's on the backside of a closed cylinder, it will draw a vacuum. And if 20cm is a "small orifice", how big is this cylinder?

1. How do you calculate the pressure of a tank?

To calculate the pressure of a tank, you need to know the volume of the tank, the number of moles of gas in the tank, and the temperature of the gas. You can then use the ideal gas law, which states that pressure is equal to the number of moles of gas multiplied by the gas constant and the temperature, divided by the volume of the tank.

2. How does filling an empty tank affect its pressure?

Filling an empty tank increases the pressure inside the tank. This is because as the tank is filled with gas, the number of moles of gas increases while the volume of the tank remains constant. According to the ideal gas law, an increase in the number of moles of gas results in an increase in pressure.

3. How does temperature affect the pressure of a tank?

Temperature has a direct effect on the pressure of a tank. As the temperature of the gas inside the tank increases, the pressure also increases. This is because an increase in temperature causes the gas molecules to move faster and collide with the walls of the tank more frequently, resulting in a higher pressure.

4. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and the number of moles of a gas. It is written as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

5. Can pressure and temperature be directly measured in an empty tank?

No, pressure and temperature cannot be directly measured in an empty tank. This is because there is no gas present in an empty tank, and pressure and temperature are properties of gases. However, pressure and temperature can be calculated using the ideal gas law and other relevant information about the tank and the gas being filled.