Filling the spool of a spinning reel with braid & monofilament

• B
  • Thread starter member 534986
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spinning
In summary, the Daiwa BG3000 spinning reel can hold 240 yards of 20 lb J-Braid line, which is considerably more expensive than 20 lb monofilament line. The reel's spool has a small diameter core and gradually increases in diameter as line is wound on it. The object is to fill the spool with 20 lb test monofilament line first, then fill the rest with 150 yards of 20 lb test J-Braid line, leaving a 1/8" margin on the spool. To calculate the correct amount of mono line to use, the volume of the spool must be considered. Using the formula for the volume of a cylinder, it can be determined that 3
member 534986
TL;DR Summary
How to calculate the amount of mono filler so that the balance will be 150 yds of braid line.
I need help on figuring how to fill a spool on a spinning reel with two different diameter fishing lines.

BACKGROUND INFO:
The Daiwa BG3000 spinning reel’s spool can hold 240 yds of 20 lb J-Braid line.
The Daiwa J-Braid X8 Grand line comes 300 yds on a spool.
J-Braid X8 Grand 20 lb line is considerably more expensive than 20 lb monofilament line.
The diameter of 20 lb mono line is bigger than the diameter of 20 lb braid line.

WHAT I WANT TO DO:
I want to fill the reel’s spool with 20 lb test monofilament line first. (Called “filler” line”) Then fill the rest of the reel’s spool with 150 yds of the 20 lb test J-Braid line. The object is to fill the reel’s spool so that when there is 1/8” margin left on the spool as shown in the picture below, that will be 150 yds of braid line used:

fill to 1-8 inch margin.jpg

NEED HELP ON THE CALCULATION:

If the reel’s spool is rated to hold 240 yds of 20 lb braid line, how much of the outer diameter of the spool takes up 150 yds of line when it just reaches the 1/8” margin?

Put another way, how much of the spool should I fill with the mono line so that the remainder of the spool will use 150 yds of braid line?

Spool depth marked with red line.jpg

The red line indicates the “depth” of the spool with the 1/8" margin. What percentage of the red line should I fill with mono line so that the balance of the red line will use about 150 yds of braid line?

I’ve ordered the reel but have not received it yet so I can’t measure the actual dimensions of the reel’s spool. But the actual dimensions may not be needed for this calculation in percentage of the red line.

Hope you physics gurus can figure this out.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could probably get a good estimation just calculating the volume of the line in each case. How thick is each line?

Dale said:
You could probably get a good estimation just calculating the volume of the line in each case. How thick is each line?
The spool that the J-Braid X8 Grand 20 lb comes on says 0.23mm diameter.
The spool that the cheap monofilament 20 lb that I plan to use does not list the diameter. But 20 lb mono line diameter ranges from 0.41mm to 0.46mm according to a chart on the web. Since I'm using the cheap mono, I suspect the diameter will be on the larger side so call it 0.45mm diameter.

But without knowing the diameter of the mono line, I'm hoping some guru can calculate the percentage of the red line in picture-2 to fill the outer portion with 150 yds of braid knowing that the reel's spool completely filled with the braid line takes 240 yds. Then I can fill with 20lb or 25lb mono line until the the balance of the red line = the calculation, then fill the rest with 150 yds of braid.

Thanks!

The volume of a cylinder is ##L\ A=L \ \pi r^2##. So the volume of braided line that the reel can handle is
##240 yd * \pi * (0.23/2)^2 mm^2 = 9.97 yd*mm^2##
(I know it is a weird unit of volume, but it is fine as long as we are consistent).

If you fill it with 150 yards of braid then that takes
##150 yd * \pi * (0.23/2)^2 mm = 6.23 yd*mm^2##
so you have 3.74 yd*mm^2 of volume left for the mono-filament.

So solving
##3.74 yd*mm^2 = L * \pi * (0.45/2)^2 mm^2##
gives L = 23.5 yd

Dale said:
The volume of a cylinder is ... snip ...
Hi Dale,

Thanks much for your help with this calculation.

My concern is that the inner diameter of the reel's metal spool before any line is installed, (call it the core), is small compared to the outer diameter.

So let's assume that the entire spool is filled with 20 lb braid line (no mono filler). The braid wound on the spool in the beginning is being wound on a small diameter core. As the spool is gradually filled with line, the diameter of where the line is being wound on is getting larger and larger. Therefore looking at the red line in picture-2, maybe 30% of the outer portion holds an equal amount of line as the inner 70% of the red line. (Just made up percentages as I have no idea of the correct percentage difference.)

Hope I explained my concern clearly enough to understand what I mean.

Thanks!

HRG said:
Hope I explained my concern clearly enough to understand what I mean.
Yes, you explained the concern clearly. You don’t need to worry about it. A given amount of line will take the same amount of volume on the spool regardless of if it is the part of the volume next to the spool or on the outside of the spool. What matters is the volume.

Dale said:
Yes, you explained the concern clearly. You don’t need to worry about it. A given amount of line will take the same amount of volume on the spool regardless of if it is the part of the volume next to the spool or on the outside of the spool. What matters is the volume.
(light bulb) Now I see what you mean about volume being the key.
Thanks for your calculations!

Out of curiosity's sake, I'm trying to understand how you derived the formula:

"The volume of a cylinder is L A=L πr2. So the volume of braided line that the reel can handle is
240yd∗π∗(0.23/2)2mm2=9.97yd∗mm2"

from the formula for the volume of a clyinder being: V=π * r^2 * h
For example, what is mm^2?

HRG said:
For example, what is mm^2?
That is just square-millimeters. Since the radius is in millimeters then the cross sectional area is in square-millimeters or mm^2.

Dale said:
That is just square-millimeters. Since the radius is in millimeters then the cross sectional area is in square-millimeters or mm^2.
Thanks Dale.

Likes Dale

1. How do I fill the spool of a spinning reel with braid and monofilament?

To fill the spool of a spinning reel with braid and monofilament, you will need to first attach the line to the spool using an arbor knot. Then, hold the line tight and begin winding it onto the spool, making sure to evenly distribute the line and avoid any tangles. Once the spool is almost full, leave about 1/8 inch of space at the edge of the spool to prevent overfilling. Finally, cut the line and secure it with a knot or tape.

2. What is the best ratio of braid to monofilament when filling a spinning reel?

The best ratio of braid to monofilament when filling a spinning reel is typically 1:3. This means that for every 1 foot of braid, you should use 3 feet of monofilament. This ratio allows for a good balance of strength and sensitivity, as well as preventing the braid from slipping on the spool.

3. Can I mix braid and monofilament on the same spool when filling a spinning reel?

Yes, you can mix braid and monofilament on the same spool when filling a spinning reel. This is known as a "backing" technique, where you use a base layer of monofilament and then top it off with braid. This can help save money on expensive braid and also provide better casting distance.

4. How do I prevent my braid from slipping on the spool when filling a spinning reel?

To prevent your braid from slipping on the spool when filling a spinning reel, you can use a technique called "backing." This involves using a base layer of monofilament and then topping it off with braid. You can also use a rubber band or tape to secure the braid to the spool before winding it on.

5. Is it necessary to use a line conditioner when filling a spinning reel with braid and monofilament?

It is not necessary to use a line conditioner when filling a spinning reel with braid and monofilament, but it can help improve the performance of your line. Line conditioner can help reduce tangles and improve casting distance, especially with older or heavily used line. However, it ultimately comes down to personal preference and may not be necessary for all anglers.