Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Film the Core question

1. Apr 17, 2003 #1

Rog

I have not seen the film however in the advertising they say that they must stop a weapon that will stop the earth spinning. I was wondering what orbital effect this would have on the earth in realtion to the sun and moon. I also wondered what gravitational effect this would have on us standing on the earth. Basically is there any effect from rotation and centrifugal force forcing us out therefore acting against gravity from the spin. If this is the case, are we heavier if we stood at the poles and lighter at the equator due to our position in relation to the spin of the earth??

PLease forgive my newbie posting and if this is the wrong part of the forum for this.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2003 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

None.
    You are lighter at the equator, by about 5%, due to the centrifugal force. The core's rotation, however, doesn't matter -- only the rotation at the surface.

- Warren

Last edited: Apr 17, 2003
  4. Apr 17, 2003 #3
    Re: Re: Film the Core question

The Earth's radius is also slightly bigger at equator.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?