Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Filming of an electron

1. Jul 17, 2007 #1
    when I studied the Journal of Low Temperature Physics (number of 28 April), confronted an important case: the researchists of Brown University could film a track of free electron's motion into the superfluid helium. The film is available by this link http://physics.brown.edu/physics/researchpages/cme/bubble/Movie.mpg
    Somethings tell me that it means that in fact a free electron has detected immediately. Is it correct really? Or this new detection is effective to how much in rejection of QM concepts?

Thanks.
    Mr Beh

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2007 #2
    What you detect is not the electron itself but the result of its interaction (emitted EM-radiation for example) with the medium through which it passes.

marlon

4. Jul 17, 2007 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Read it carefully! These are bubbles that form around each single electron in the supercold liquid. That is why your eye could see it. You are not observing the electron itself!

Zz.

5. Jul 18, 2007 #4
    I had seen it carefully the ... man and had observed that. But because of this possibility, I asked the questions about the detecting of a single electron only. reffer to https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1380455&postcount=15 to see my belief about this case there.

Thanks.
    Mr Beh

6. Jul 18, 2007 #5
    Well, then you should know there is no violation of the HUP because you are not looking at the electron's trajectory.

marlon

7. Jul 27, 2007 #6
    I would like to add that the size of these bubbles are tipically several times greater than the classical estimates for the electron's radius. So the uncertainty in trajectory determination is great.

Best wishes

DaTario

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?