Is Filming Free Electron Motion in Superfluid Helium Possible?

• Thread starter Proof.Beh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electron
In summary, it is possible to film free electron motion in superfluid helium through the use of ultrafast lasers and cryogenic techniques. This allows for the observation and study of unique quantum phenomena such as superfluidity and superconductivity. However, the process is complex and requires specialized equipment, making it a challenging task for researchers. Nevertheless, the potential insights gained from this technique could greatly advance our understanding of fundamental physics.
Proof.Beh
when I studied the Journal of Low Temperature Physics (number of 28 April), confronted an important case: the researchists of Brown University could film a track of free electron's motion into the superfluid helium. The film is available by this link http://physics.brown.edu/physics/researchpages/cme/bubble/Movie.mpg
Somethings tell me that it means that in fact a free electron has detected immediately. Is it correct really? Or this new detection is effective to how much in rejection of QM concepts?

Thanks.
Mr Beh

Physics news on Phys.org
Proof.Beh said:
when I studied the Journal of Low Temperature Physics (number of 28 April), confronted an important case: the researchists of Brown University could film a track of free electron's motion into the superfluid helium. The film is available by this link http://physics.brown.edu/physics/researchpages/cme/bubble/Movie.mpg
Somethings tell me that it means that in fact a free electron has detected immediately. Is it correct really? Or this new detection is effective to how much in rejection of QM concepts?

Thanks.
Mr Beh

What you detect is not the electron itself but the result of its interaction (emitted EM-radiation for example) with the medium through which it passes.

marlon

Proof.Beh said:

Thanks.
Mr Beh
Read it carefully! These are bubbles that form around each single electron in the supercold liquid. That is why your eye could see it. You are not observing the electron itself!

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Read it carefully! These are bubbles that form around each single electron in the supercold liquid. That is why your eye could see it. You are not observing the electron itself!

Zz.

I had seen it carefully the ... man and had observed that. But because of this possibility, I asked the questions about the detecting of a single electron only. reffer to https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1380455&postcount=15 to see my belief about this case there.

Thanks.
Mr Beh

Proof.Beh said:
I had seen it carefully the ... man and had observed that.
Well, then you should know there is no violation of the HUP because you are not looking at the electron's trajectory.

marlon

I would like to add that the size of these bubbles are tipically several times greater than the classical estimates for the electron's radius. So the uncertainty in trajectory determination is great.

Best wishes

DaTario

1. How is an electron filmed?

An electron cannot be filmed in the traditional sense because it is much smaller than any camera can detect. However, scientists use a technique called electron microscopy to capture images of electrons. This involves directing a beam of electrons onto a sample and using a detector to capture the scattered electrons and create an image.

2. What is the purpose of filming an electron?

Filming an electron allows scientists to study its behavior and properties in detail. This can provide valuable insights into the structure and function of atoms, molecules, and materials. It is also used in various fields such as nanotechnology, biology, and materials science.

3. How do scientists control the movement of electrons during filming?

Electrons are charged particles, so scientists can manipulate their movement using electric and magnetic fields. By adjusting the strength and direction of these fields, they can control the path of the electrons and capture images from different angles.

4. Can electrons be filmed in real-time?

Yes, with advanced equipment and techniques, it is possible to film electrons in real-time. This allows scientists to observe and study their behavior as it happens, providing a more comprehensive understanding of their properties and interactions.

5. Are there any limitations to filming electrons?

One limitation is that the process of filming electrons can be destructive to the sample being studied. The high-energy electron beam can damage or alter the structure of the sample, making it difficult to capture accurate images. Additionally, the resolution of electron microscopy is limited by the wavelength of the electrons, so it may not be able to capture extremely small details.

Back