1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Filter problem

1. Apr 17, 2005 #1
    I have this filter problem,
    I am given a magnitude graph (magnitude vs frequency, with a point on it) of voltage across input current source and a sketch of a circuit: black box connected with a current source (cos(wt) and voltage across it is Vmcos(wt + theta)) and the question is to figure out what's in the box and values. Looking at the graph, it is low-pass filter

So far we covered steady-state sinusoidal response and phasors. But all the examples in the book are with voltage sources so I am thrown off, I am not sure if I can do source transformation on it!

So, I tried getting ratio of v/i and using phasor e-notation, I got Vm*e^theta, so does that mean that since impedance has positive imaginary part, it's inductor and resistor in series? What would a point on the magnitude voltage graph give me?

Any hint on this would be GREATLY appreciated...

Last edited: Apr 17, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2005 #2
    Missing ???

The problem here is that a multitude of circuits may do the same thing
    ( you left off the sketch ) without which a solution is impossible .
    However this sounds like Homework so I am not inclined to repy.
    Ray.

4. Apr 18, 2005 #3
    I do not know how to use Latex, so I described the graph as a graph of low-freq. filter: as w->infinity, |v| -> 0, since this is the only information that was provided for us.
    I resolved it with a TA, but thanks for making me feel welcome. I did not hide it was a homework, and it wasn't like I did not make an effort in trying to understand this. I guess I had a wrong idea about the point of this forum: help people; but evidently students are not considered to be "people" by your standards.
    No hard feelings.
    Thanks for your time [edit] and that other time you answered my question[/edit].

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  5. Apr 18, 2005 #4
    Oh Ray is always like that... he's just kidding.

We know you tried it out --- but he has a point, I think I oculd help you out if you attach the pdf of which the plot is drawn. Or a link to your course webpage could be helpful!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  6. Apr 20, 2005 #5
    To Elver -- sorry I think I was a little tired. The point here is that exact info is required
    i.e the graph shape matters. You say that you need to get what is in the box AND values . You can only do this in very simple cases which one may be able to judge by the shape of the graph. I assume (but do not know ) that the point is chosen to reveal
    a value of loss at a specific frequency leading to values.
    In electronics the circuit and graph info is vital --- I do not use Latex either --- I found that any drawing package which can produce a small Jpeg file can be used here
    I happen to use Corel Draw Here is a sample of what it can do in a couple of minutes ( the Jpeg is at 55 dpi to keep it small ) .everything here is drawn or typed and placed . it's not a schematic package ).
    I do not use BMP's because unless they are zipped they are too large -- and if they are zipped they cannot be viewed on the forum.
    Ray

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
  7. Apr 20, 2005 #6
    Oh, I did not expect you to go at such length :smile:
    Actually that is exactly what the circuit is supposed to look like. Next time I will be more considerate when it comes to details and precision of the problem posting. The tip on drawing is very helpful.
    Thanks!

8. Apr 21, 2005 #7
    To Theelectrichild --- Hey I am not ALWAYS like that ---- but the solution to a problem IS a GOOD Question . Ray.
    But you are quite right about the kidding !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and thank you for keeping the discussion light hearted.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?