Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Filter resistor wattage

1. Aug 6, 2009 #1
    In a filter where 1/4 watt resistors is enough would the filter be less noisy if I use 1/2 watt or more or should I use the least wattage resistors needed?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The size of the resistor will not generally affect its noise. The construction may affect it (carbon composition versus metal film), but I haven't looked at that in a while.

4. Aug 6, 2009 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Did a quick google search, and found this interesting article on resistor noise and composition:

http://www.aikenamps.com/ResistorNoise.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Aug 6, 2009 #4
    You have two common catagories of resistor composite or metal. With surface mount parts, the composites are your referred to as thick film.
    Metal will be called out as "thin film," metal film, or wirewound.
    When you have little to no current flow through the resistor, thermal noise will likely dominate, and you're not likely to see a benefit of one over the other.
    However, when you apply current, composite resistors become very noisy due to the irregular grains and contact transitions. Metal resistors remain very quiet though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook