Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finacial Engineering

1. Jan 4, 2005 #1
    Hey.. just came across an article where the person did his MS in Financial engineering.. i have personally not heard of financial engineering and wanted to know what it deals with,etc?

Any help is appreciated..

thanks much

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2005 #2
    Until a financial engineer corrects me... accounting for people who want to sound smarter?

4. Jan 5, 2005 #3

cronxeh

Gold Member

exactapositivelutely

Here is a short list of courses taken straight from MS curriculum:

Financial Accounting, Money, Banking and Financial Markets, Microeconomic Foundations of Finance, Investment Banking and Brokerage, Financial Theory with Corporate Applications, Financial Market Regulation, Accounting for Financial Products, Economics for Business Decisions

5. Jan 5, 2005 #4
    hmm strange... how does this related to science in any way then if its just accounting?

6. Jan 5, 2005 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

It has nothing to do with science or anything related. It's just another pathetic addition of the word "engineering" to a title to make it sound more appealing and important.

7. Jan 5, 2005 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Many schools have an "engineering accounting", or similar major, which is basically accounting for people who washed out of engineering. For example: http://www.lebow.drexel.edu/undergrad/ug_programs/bs_in_ce/

A quick look over the coursework shows there is a lot of actual engineering coursework - just nothing beyond sophomore level.

8. Jan 5, 2005 #7

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I took a module in "engineering management" which included engineering accounting, but it was actually quite useful. The management was relevant to project planning, and the finance bit actually gave us a healthy awareness of how accountants often talk out of their arses just to make the numbers look good.

9. Jan 5, 2005 #8
    What are you talking about??? Financial Engineering has nothing to do with accounting. It deals with derivatives, volatility, and Black Scholes Model. For example, one typically learns stochastic calculus, and works to prove something like the Black Scholes Equation. It is not simply accounting.

10. Jan 5, 2005 #9

russ_watters

So did I - and Drexel has an Engineering Management masters, which is basically an MBA for engineers (and I'm considering taking...). It is a useful thing to have as a single class or substitute MBA, but to call a watered-down BS "engneering" is a little misleading/annoying.

11. Jan 5, 2005 #10
    hmmm so what would be the jobs that a financial engineer might get? and how where is this knowledge used practically?

thanks much

12. Jan 5, 2005 #11
    first of all, financial engineering can be used to provide a model of the behavior of stocks. You can become an economist, or work for companies like The Predictors. Overall it is very useful. Also, many of the concepts in financial engineering spawn from physics like Brownian motion.

13. Jan 5, 2005 #12

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Didn't say it was, I was just providing a counter argument to the idea that adding the word 'engineering' to a term isn't always misleading!

At least in the UK, many graduates are recruited into finance from all types of engineering degree, especially for developing things like hedging models for the stock market where graduates from traditional economics/finance degrees don't always have the skills needed.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2005
  14. Jan 6, 2005 #13

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I beg to ask...what differentiates the graduates of this curriculum from any of the other economists out there who are not "engineers" who perform these jobs already? What exactly is being engineered?

I had two classes on engineering economics. I was glad I took them. They really were quite useful. I'm not about to call myself a CPA because of that.

From what I have seen of engineering management degrees, they do focus more on engineering settings and situations. I don't find that degree bogus whatsoever.

15. Jan 6, 2005 #14
    how about 'economist' then. isn't that the kind of stuff they do? sounds to me like somebody though 'economist' was a little too dull sounding and wanted to make the job sexier by calling it 'financial engineering'.

16. Jan 6, 2005 #15

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Possibly.

I always like to define engineering as "the application of known data, scientific principles and imagination to solve problems optimally". Not very catchy, (and not entirely accurate) but I'm just wondering how many economics graduates use anything other than textbook theories developed from past experience in their work?

17. Jan 6, 2005 #16

russ_watters

Its almost embarassing, but I looked up the word "engineering" in the dictionary to see if I could find any justification for using the word in this way (you'd think I'd already know what it means :redface: ).
    This definition implies to me that the usage in "financial engineering" is def #2 and has a different meaning altogether than in "mechanical engineering." Considering that the word has legal weight (it is illegal to label yourself an "engineer" for professional/legal purposes, ie. getting a building permit, unless you have a P.E. certification), I still agree with the objections of the other engineers here.

Incidentally, my sister has a degree that sounds very similar to this "financial engineering" - I'm pretty sure its called "business math."

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  18. Jan 6, 2005 #17

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What are the laws in the US about calling yourself an engineer?

Here in the UK, much to professional disgust, anyone can call themselves an 'engineer', since our dictionary definition includes people who work with or operate anything technical! It's bastardised I know, but it's legitimate.

19. Jan 6, 2005 #18

cronxeh

Gold Member

varies by state ill edit when i google it up later sorry

20. Jan 7, 2005 #19

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

It's the same here in the US. The only thing that I know of that is tightly licensed is the use of PE (professional engineer).

There are thousands of people that call themselves or were given the title of engineer yet have no background or education.

21. Jan 7, 2005 #20
    I would say def #1. Many use heavy math to design financial products. Like many different kind of options and other derivatives. As such, they do an essential role in the formation of capital, the importance of which have been discussed in this thread:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=58265

Other also use heavy math in order to find various inefficiencies and errors in the markets. By exploiting these, the markets then become more efficient. As such, they are essential in the operation of the capital markets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financial_Engineering
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financial_Math

And just pray that they got their risk calculations right, in these days of centrally planned interest rates and government caused debt explosion.

Another new engineering profession would be Genetic Engineering.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?