Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Final Day of Active Duty

1. May 17, 2012 #1

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

This is it. 9 years, 11 months, 16 days of active duty Air Force and today is my final day. It's been good and bad. I'm looking at going reserve and moving to Tuscon to go to the University of Arizona to do Optical Engineering if everything goes well. Off to my final out appointment! SSgt Drakkith, signing off. MR. Drakkith, please report to the stage.

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2012 #2
    Wow, you're in the Air Force for 10 years? I thought you were in college. Definitely a good idea to stay in the reserve, imo. Well, best of luck!

4. May 17, 2012 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Congrats, Drakkith! And thank you for your service :approve:!

5. May 17, 2012 #4

Evo

Congratulations!!! And good luck with your future plans!

6. May 17, 2012 #5
    Congratz Drakkith! Have a prosperous future !

7. May 17, 2012 #6

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://beatsplanet.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/before%20you.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  8. May 17, 2012 #7

Astronuc

Congratulations! Well done! Good luck with Uni. UA is a good school, and Tucson is a nice town.

9. May 17, 2012 #8

turbo

Gold Member

Good luck, Drakkith! You are headed to a college with perhaps the best optical program in the US. They make (sometimes very large!) mirrors for observatories that we can only dream of visiting.

And thank you so much for your service to your country. In this volunteer-only age of military service, people should pay more attention to our service-members because they were not conscripted, and joined and served willingly.

10. May 17, 2012 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Congrats, Drakkith! And good luck.

Ten years is a long time. Would you care to list a few of your most interesting experiences as a flyboy? [Is that term still in use?]

11. May 17, 2012 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Isn't it "airhead"??
    :confused:

12. May 17, 2012 #11

Drakkith

Thank you all!

Honestly my career was rather boring compared to some. My career field is small and I have been stationed at Barksdale AFB for 9 years. I went to Guam for 6 weeks and to Diego Garcia for about 4 months, but other than that I was at Barksdale the whole time.

That said, my trip to and from Diego Garcia literally took me around the world. Flew out from Shreveport to DFW Airport in Dallas, then from Dallas to Tokyo Japan, then to Singapore, then to Diego. On the way back we went from Diego to the middle east, then to Ireland, then straight back to shreveport. I don't think you can get much further away from the U.S. than Diego Garcia. (South of India)

I've done Cruise Missile maintenance, which is basically doing to a cruise missile what a mechanic does to a car. I've also helped the Ammo career field by building JDAMs in Diego.

I've met some great people, some not so great people, pulled weeds in the rain on a Friday night to make our storage structures "look pretty", scared the crap out of a C-5 crew in flight (our missiles did at least, not me), been yelled at because guys 8 years younger than me with 3 less stripes can't keep from getting DUI's, and more.

13. May 17, 2012 #12
    As Obama said, thanks to those who are out there fighting on my behalf

14. May 17, 2012 #13
    You will reflect on those times in service for the rest of your life. I know I have, and it's ironic that I miss both the bad moments as much as I miss the good times. One factor, I never realized until I got out of the service was the constant change you always experienced (where you're stationed and the multitude of people you meet from all backgrounds and nationalities). When your indoctrinated into military service, it happens so quickly-you quite don't have time to realize it. The mindset in military disciplines is so different from the civilian sector. Even the mindset within the branches are very different.

I would of never changed a thing...except I wish I wasn't hung-go...Army life was uncomfortable...wish I was SMART and gone air force:rofl: (air conditioning is a big plus). Either way, I wish you all the best.

What was your military specialty?

15. May 17, 2012 #14

Drakkith

Specialty? My career field was 2M0X1B as the AFSC. Not sure what the other services call it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook