What comes next after 9 years of active duty in the Air Force?

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Final
In summary: I was a Missile and Space Systems Electronic Maintenance Technician, or Missile Maintenance Technician. I worked on ICBM's and cruise missiles.In summary, SSgt Drakkith is completing his final day of active duty Air Force after 9 years, 11 months, and 16 days. He is considering joining the reserve and moving to Tuscon to attend the University of Arizona for Optical Engineering. He has enjoyed his time in the Air Force, but is ready for a change. He has been stationed at Barksdale AFB for most of his career and has also traveled to Guam and Diego Garcia. His job involved maintaining cruise missiles and he has had a variety of experiences and met many different people during his service. He thanks everyone for their
Drakkith
Mentor
This is it. 9 years, 11 months, 16 days of active duty Air Force and today is my final day. It's been good and bad. I'm looking at going reserve and moving to Tuscon to go to the University of Arizona to do Optical Engineering if everything goes well. Off to my final out appointment! SSgt Drakkith, signing off. MR. Drakkith, please report to the stage.

Physics news on Phys.org
Drakkith said:
This is it. 9 years, 11 months, 16 days of active duty Air Force and today is my final day. It's been good and bad. I'm looking at going reserve and moving to Tuscon to go to the University of Arizona to do Optical Engineering if everything goes well. Off to my final out appointment! SSgt Drakkith, signing off. MR. Drakkith, please report to the stage.
Wow, you're in the Air Force for 10 years? I thought you were in college. Definitely a good idea to stay in the reserve, imo. Well, best of luck!

Drakkith said:

Congrats, Drakkith! And thank you for your service :approve:!

Congratulations! And good luck with your future plans!

Congratz Drakkith! Have a prosperous future !

Drakkith said:
MR. Drakkith, please report to the stage.
http://beatsplanet.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/before%20you.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Drakkith said:
Congratulations! Well done! Good luck with Uni. UA is a good school, and Tucson is a nice town.

Good luck, Drakkith! You are headed to a college with perhaps the best optical program in the US. They make (sometimes very large!) mirrors for observatories that we can only dream of visiting.

And thank you so much for your service to your country. In this volunteer-only age of military service, people should pay more attention to our service-members because they were not conscripted, and joined and served willingly.

Congrats, Drakkith! And good luck.

Ten years is a long time. Would you care to list a few of your most interesting experiences as a flyboy? [Is that term still in use?]

Ivan Seeking said:

Ten years is a long time. Would you care to list a few of your most interesting experiences as a flyboy? [Is that term still in use?]

Isn't it "airhead"??
:confused:

Thank you all!

Ivan Seeking said:

Honestly my career was rather boring compared to some. My career field is small and I have been stationed at Barksdale AFB for 9 years. I went to Guam for 6 weeks and to Diego Garcia for about 4 months, but other than that I was at Barksdale the whole time.

That said, my trip to and from Diego Garcia literally took me around the world. Flew out from Shreveport to DFW Airport in Dallas, then from Dallas to Tokyo Japan, then to Singapore, then to Diego. On the way back we went from Diego to the middle east, then to Ireland, then straight back to shreveport. I don't think you can get much further away from the U.S. than Diego Garcia. (South of India)

I've done Cruise Missile maintenance, which is basically doing to a cruise missile what a mechanic does to a car. I've also helped the Ammo career field by building JDAMs in Diego.

I've met some great people, some not so great people, pulled weeds in the rain on a Friday night to make our storage structures "look pretty", scared the crap out of a C-5 crew in flight (our missiles did at least, not me), been yelled at because guys 8 years younger than me with 3 less stripes can't keep from getting DUI's, and more.

As Obama said, thanks to those who are out there fighting on my behalf

You will reflect on those times in service for the rest of your life. I know I have, and it's ironic that I miss both the bad moments as much as I miss the good times. One factor, I never realized until I got out of the service was the constant change you always experienced (where you're stationed and the multitude of people you meet from all backgrounds and nationalities). When your indoctrinated into military service, it happens so quickly-you quite don't have time to realize it. The mindset in military disciplines is so different from the civilian sector. Even the mindset within the branches are very different.

I would of never changed a thing...except I wish I wasn't hung-go...Army life was uncomfortable...wish I was SMART and gone air force:rofl: (air conditioning is a big plus). Either way, I wish you all the best.

What was your military specialty?

czelaya said:
What was your military specialty?

Specialty? My career field was 2M0X1B as the AFSC. Not sure what the other services call it.

What is the "Final Day of Active Duty"?

The "Final Day of Active Duty" refers to the date on which a military service member completes their obligated time in the armed forces and transitions to civilian life.

How long is the typical active duty period?

The length of the active duty period varies depending on the branch of the military and the specific job or role of the service member. In general, the minimum active duty period is 2 years, with some branches and positions requiring longer commitments.

What happens on the Final Day of Active Duty?

On the Final Day of Active Duty, the service member will officially separate or retire from the military. This may involve a ceremony or other formal event, depending on the branch and individual circumstances. The service member will also begin the process of transitioning to civilian life, which may include receiving benefits and resources.

Can a service member extend their active duty period?

Yes, in some cases a service member may choose to extend their active duty period. This could be for a variety of reasons, such as completing a specific mission or receiving additional training. However, extensions are not guaranteed and must be approved by the military branch.

What benefits and resources are available to service members on their Final Day of Active Duty?

Service members may be eligible for a variety of benefits and resources on their Final Day of Active Duty, including healthcare and education benefits, job placement assistance, and access to military retirement programs. It is important for service members to research and understand their specific benefits and resources available to them.