1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Final Equilibrium Temperature

1. Jan 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An adiabatically isolated system consists of 1 mol of a diatomic gas 100K and 2 mol of a solid at 200K separated by a rigid adiabatic wall. Find the equilibrium temperature of system after adiabatic wall is removed, assuming that the solid obeys the Dulong-Petit law.

2. Relevant equations
    mgascgas(T-100) = msolidcsolid(200-T)

mgascgas = Qgas = 5/2 nRT ( 5 is degree of freedom, I guess so)

3. The attempt at a solution

5/2 nRT = Q = msolidcsolid(200-T)

4. Answer

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2012 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree with that answer, though you didn't really show how you got it. You haven't shown how you used the Dulong-Petit law, and msolid shouldn't be part of the calculation.

4. Jan 3, 2012 #3
    The answer was given on back pages of the book. I have not got any answer yet. I dont know how they got that answer.

5. Jan 4, 2012 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What does your book or class notes say about the Dulong-Petit law? You should look that up, it relates the energy of the solid and its temperature change.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook