Final Exam Review: Airplane Trajectory?

In summary, the acceleration of an airplane as a function of time can be described as a = (αt)(i) + (βt4 - γt)(j), with α, β, and γ being positive and constant. The units of α, β, and γ are ms-3, ms-6, and ms-3 respectively. The time at which the airplane position is directly NE of the airport is t = [(5α + 5γ)/β][SUP]1/3, and the trajectory of the plane can be written as ry = (5α(α - γ)/3β)(i + j)√2.
Metamorphose
1. Using a reference frame with the origin at the take-off airport, the positive x-axis due East,
and the positive y-axis due North, the acceleration a of an airplane as a function of time
can be described as:
a = (αt)(i) + (βt4 - γt)(j)

with α, β, and γ positive and constant.
Assuming that the airplane takes off from the airport at time t = 0 with zero initial
velocity:
a) What are the units of α, β, and γ?
b) Find the time(s) when the airplane position is directly NE of the airport.
c) Find the trajectory of the plane, y(x).
Write your results in terms of α, β, and γ. Remember to check the dimensions/units for each
answer.

Homework Equations

a = (αt)(i) + (βt4 - γt)(j)

v = ∫a(dt) → (0.5αt2)(i) + (1/5(βt5) - 0.5γt2)(j)

r = ∫v(dt) → (1/6(αt3)(i) + (1/30(βt6 - 1/6(γt3)(j)

The Attempt at a Solution

[a.] For part A,

the units for α, β, and γ respectively:

ms-3, ms-6, and ms-3

[b.] For part B, to find the times at which the plane is directly NE would mean setting the rx and ry components equal to each other.

∴rx = ry

1/6(αt3 = 1/30(βt6 - 1/6(γt3

1/6(αt3 + 1/6(γt3 = 1/30(βt6

Multiplying the entire thing by 30 gives:

5αt3[/SUP + 5γt3 = βt6

t3(5α + 5γ) = βt6

(5α + 5γ) = βt3

t3 = (5α + 5γ)/β

∴t = [(5α + 5γ)/β]1/3

[c.] For part C, I know trajectory means projectile motion, but I am not sure how to do it.

Do we simply get the time and plug it into ry?Doing that gives 5α(α - γ)/6β as a final answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, for part C, you can plug in the time you found in part B into the formula for ry to get the trajectory of the plane.

ry = (1/6(αt3)(i) + (1/30(βt6 - 1/6(γt3)(j)

= (1/6(α[(5α + 5γ)/β]1/3)3)(i) + (1/30(β[(5α + 5γ)/β]2/3 - 1/6(γ[(5α + 5γ)/β]1/3)3)(j)

= (5α(α - γ)/6β)(i) + (5α(α - γ)/6β)(j)

= (5α(α - γ)/6β)(i + j)

= (5α(α - γ)/6β)(√2)(i + j)

= (5α(α - γ)/3β)(i + j)

1. What topics should I focus on when studying for the airplane final exam?

When reviewing for the airplane final exam, it is important to focus on topics such as aerodynamics, aircraft systems, flight controls, safety procedures, and navigation. These are all key areas that are typically covered on the exam.

2. How can I best prepare for the airplane final exam?

The best way to prepare for the airplane final exam is to start studying early and consistently review the material. It is also helpful to create study guides, practice with sample questions, and attend review sessions or seek help from a tutor if needed.

3. What are some common mistakes that students make on the airplane final exam?

Some common mistakes students make on the airplane final exam include not studying enough, not understanding the material fully, and rushing through the exam without carefully reading and answering each question. It is important to take your time and thoroughly review all the material before the exam.

4. Are there any specific calculations or formulas I should focus on for the airplane final exam?

Yes, there are certain calculations and formulas that are commonly used on the airplane final exam. These may include weight and balance calculations, performance calculations, and fuel calculations. Make sure to review and practice these calculations before the exam.

5. Is it important to review regulations and procedures for the airplane final exam?

Yes, it is crucial to review regulations and procedures for the airplane final exam. These are often tested and it is important to have a good understanding of them for both the exam and for safe flying practices in the future.