Final exam ruined by a catchy song?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam Final
In summary: Jay Leno.Related to the writer's strike, I saw the saddest thing last night...Jay Leno was interviewing Conan O'Brien. I didn't stay up late enough to see if they traded favors.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
if you have an exam in the next 24 hours, please don't click the link in this post.
In fact ..don't even read the URL. It's too risky. Just walk away and don't look back. I told you not to even come in here, but you just had to, didn't you?

http://www.stupidvideos.com/video/just_plain_stupid/Manah_Manah/#483

Seriously, once this song infects your mental soundtrack you will not get it off the loop, and you will hear it over and over and over throughout the entire two hours of your final exam. Like I did. :frown:

I warned you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Who knew MIH was evil?

too late.. I'm screwed for my final tomorrow now. gee thanks.

:rofl: I love that song! But, yeah, thanks, it's going to be stuck in my head for days now! :rolleyes:

No worries. If you want to get that song out of your head then listen to this.

Problem solved. Another happy customer:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh god I hope that leaves my head before my final on friday :P

mwaahahaha! :devil: Now you all feel my pain.
Huckleberry said:

ooh. That's a vicious one!

I never opened it. I don't trust you now! :devil:

Huckleberry said:

That one doesn't work for me. Perhaps too many verses are included, or done in that voice, it's not catchy enough.

Math Is Hard said:
mwaahahaha! :devil: Now you all feel my pain.

ooh. That's a vicious one!

I've been singing that one at work the past week or so. I'll probably be unemployed by next week.

Moonbear said:
That one doesn't work for me. Perhaps too many verses are included, or done in that voice, it's not catchy enough.

I like the one MIH posted too. Now I just need someone to sing a duet with me.

Huckleberry said:
I like the one MIH posted too. Now I just need someone to sing a duet with me.

We did that song as a duet in our Jr High chorus concert one year. Very fun! :biggrin:

Math Is Hard said:
if you have an exam in the next 24 hours, please don't click the link in this post.
In fact ..don't even read the URL. It's too risky. Just walk away and don't look back. I told you not to even come in here, but you just had to, didn't you?

http://www.stupidvideos.com/video/just_plain_stupid/Manah_Manah/#483

Seriously, once this song infects your mental soundtrack you will not get it off the loop, and you will hear it over and over and over throughout the entire two hours of your final exam. Like I did. :frown:

I warned you.

No problems because I don't have a final. I just have a big presentation to give. Mmm :uhh: Gee, I sure hope that doesn't cause a problem.

What's up with the times? Why was my last visit at 'Y at 11:07' and everyone else's posts have times of 'Y, 23:16' or some such?

BobG said:
What's up with the times? Why was my last visit at 'Y at 11:07' and everyone else's posts have times of 'Y, 23:16' or some such?

New time format. 'T' is today, 'Y' is yesterday.

They're too cheap to pay for 'esterday'

Huckleberry said:

That line 'could you hand me the remote' sent me howling. I can't wait to spring it on my wife. Perhaps when we're in Aruba.

jimmysnyder said:
That line 'could you hand me the remote' sent me howling. I can't wait to spring it on my wife. Perhaps when we're in Aruba.

It will be even worse now that the writer's guild is on strike and the only new television available will be reruns and, ahem... reality shows. I'm sure that will accelerate the deterioration of free will in the viewers.

BobG said:
No problems because I don't have a final. I just have a big presentation to give. Mmm :uhh: Gee, I sure hope that doesn't cause a problem.

I think Greg said it saves space using this format.

Watch for these addtions to the time format:
W=whenever PDQ=indeterminate GA=go away

Hah! I still haven't listened! You cannot convince me!

Huckleberry said:
It will be even worse now that the writer's guild is on strike and the only new television available will be reruns and, ahem... reality shows. I'm sure that will accelerate the deterioration of free will in the viewers.

Related to the writer's strike, I saw the saddest thing last night...Jay Leno was interviewing Conan O'Brien. I didn't stay up late enough to see if they traded favors. Though, I thought Conan was doing rather well holding his own without anyone writing for him. Jay, on the other hand, had dialogue mostly along the lines of, "Hmm...okay...haha...mmmhmmm..." :rofl:

Dang! I listened to it...

BobG said:
I had to teach a training class at work this morning. I had Manah Manah playing as people were coming in and getting seated. I think I have finally gotten it out of my system.
Moonbear said:
Related to the writer's strike, I saw the saddest thing last night...Jay Leno was interviewing Conan O'Brien. I didn't stay up late enough to see if they traded favors. Though, I thought Conan was doing rather well holding his own without anyone writing for him. Jay, on the other hand, had dialogue mostly along the lines of, "Hmm...okay...haha...mmmhmmm..." :rofl:
Wow! That's really sad! Can't believe it's come to this.

Math Jeans said:
Dang! I listened to it...
I warned you. Now you have to pass it on by making someone else listen to it, or you'll never escape. It's kinda like that movie The Ring. :biggrin:

Last edited:
That Manah Manah song always reminds me of a commercial for BN biscuits that I remember being played constantly for a few years when I was growing up. I don't know if you guys had that in the US: here it is for you all to enjoy (or curse me for) if not!

Moonbear said:

Conan probably had a bit of an advantage. He used to be a comedy writer for Saturday Night Live, for one.

Manah Manah!

Cyrus said:
Manah Manah!

Woah.. who are you?? What've you done with that other guy.. beaten him up and stolen his avatar?! :biggrin:

Cyrus said:
Manah Manah!

Doo doo doodoo

Cyrus said:

:rofl: Aww...I would love a valentine gift like that...it was cute in a quirky sort of way.

(Note to anyone viewing the video from your office...turn the sound down...the volume on that clip is set painfully loud! I turned both my speaker volume and the video clip volume way down just to make it comfortable to listen to.)

hypnagogue said:

No! No! Not again! :rofl:

I didn't even have to open that link...apparently I still have a latent infection from my last exposure, and just seeing the site name popped that earbug right back into my head! :cry:

1. How can a catchy song ruin a final exam?

A catchy song can be distracting and make it difficult for students to focus on the exam questions and recall information. It can also cause students to lose track of time and rush through the exam, leading to careless mistakes.

2. Is there a scientific explanation for why a catchy song can impact exam performance?

Yes, there have been studies that show how music can affect cognitive processes such as attention, memory, and decision-making. A catchy song can activate the brain's reward system, causing a release of dopamine and making it harder to concentrate on other tasks.

3. Can listening to music while studying also have a negative impact on exam performance?

It depends on the individual and the type of music. Some people may find that background music helps them focus and improves their memory, while others may find it distracting. It's important to find the right balance and choose music that is not too catchy or distracting.

4. How can students avoid being affected by a catchy song during their final exams?

One way is to avoid listening to music before the exam or during breaks. It's also helpful to practice mindfulness techniques, such as deep breathing and focusing on the present moment, to help block out distractions. Additionally, choosing a quiet and distraction-free study environment can also help.

5. Is there a way to use music to improve exam performance instead of it being a distraction?

Yes, there is a concept called "the Mozart effect" which suggests that listening to classical music can enhance cognitive abilities and improve exam performance. However, more research is needed to fully understand the effects of music on exam performance and how it can be used effectively.