Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Final exam wave question

1. Jun 21, 2015 #1
    I'm a high school physics teacher and this was a question posed to my Honors Physics class.

[Simplified]
    A light wave travels from water to air. Which of the following variables does NOT change between the mediums?"
    A. speed
    B. wavelength
    C. amplitude
    D. frequency

I intended the answer to be frequency. But, upon further analysis, I couldn't give a good answer as to whether the amplitude changes or not. I was thinking in terms of classical waves (e.g. strings, sound, water). But, I specifically used a light wave. In perusing PF, I saw a previous thread discussing whether light as a photon has an amplitude. I'll admit the discussion got really deep, but the conclusion seemed to be that amplitude doesn't quite apply to a single photon, and for a light "wave", intensity would be a better descriptor. However, I did say amplitude.

The students know about energy/intensity vs. amplitude, but not really about light being wave and particle. They may be familiar with the concept though. My question is whether option C was ambiguous enough to warrant accepting it as an answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2015 #2
    Wavelength and frequency are linearly related. Amplitude only depends on interference in photons, as far as I understand it.

4. Jun 21, 2015 #3
  5. Jun 21, 2015 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

To my knowledge, C would not be a correct answer. The amplitude does change.

6. Jun 21, 2015 #5

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The amplitude should change as a consequence of EM boundary conditions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook