Final exams - with study schedule

In summary, to prepare for final exams, it is best to create a study schedule and start studying at least 2-3 weeks in advance. It is recommended to study for 2-3 hours per day and use effective study techniques such as flashcards, summarizing notes, practicing past exams, and teaching the material to someone else. It is also important to take breaks, stay hydrated, and get enough sleep. It is best to focus on one exam at a time while leaving enough time to review all the material before each exam.
Mrs_ChemE
Final exams -- need help with study schedule

Hi all. I am a 2nd year ChE major. I've done pretty well in my gen physics, chem, calc courses and have almost all of my humanities done. This semester I'm taking Thermodynamics, Organic Chem, Linear algebra, and a history course. I'm also working in a research position with a ChE dept prof.

A little background - this is a second career for me, I'm 31, married with 2 kids. I did make the sacrifice not to work so that I can have more time for studies, but of course, I still don't have as much free time as the average student. And I admit I do not have the best study habits. I didn't *need* to study a ton in my intro courses and I have been rudely awakened this semester.

I'm doing really well in Calc, I've gotten a 99 and 90 on the two exams with one more this Wednesday. And it's best 2/3 so I feel confident.

I'm not doing so well in OChem. I admit I slacked off. Exams are, again, best 2 of 3. I got an 82, 57, and completely failed exam 3 with a 16.

Thermodynamics is similar, I got a 47 and a 72 on those exams, both count towards final grade.

I am hoping that you all can help me figuring out a good guideline for studying for my finals. I have my calc final on 5/10, OChem on 5/12, and Thermo on 5/13. I know I need to devote more time to the chem courses because I have a good grasp on the math. But I'm kind of feeling helpless with the dates looming. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate with your course load and family responsibilities. First of all, congratulations on your success in your general courses and your research position. That is a great achievement and shows your dedication to your studies.

As for your upcoming finals, it's important to create a study schedule that works for you and your commitments. Here are some tips that may help:

1. Prioritize your courses: Take a look at your syllabi and determine which courses have the most weight on your final grade. These are the courses you should focus on the most.

2. Create a study schedule: Block out specific times in your schedule for studying each course. Be realistic about how much time you can devote to each course and stick to the schedule.

3. Use active studying techniques: Instead of simply re-reading your notes or textbook, try to actively engage with the material. This can include making flashcards, creating study guides, or teaching the material to someone else.

4. Seek help if needed: Don't be afraid to reach out to your professors or classmates for help if you are struggling with a particular course. Your professor may have office hours or tutoring resources available.

5. Take care of yourself: It's important to take breaks and practice self-care during this stressful time. Make sure to get enough sleep, eat well, and take breaks to recharge.

I hope these tips help you create a successful study schedule for your finals. Good luck!

What is the best way to prepare for final exams?

The best way to prepare for final exams is to create a study schedule and stick to it. This will help you organize your time and ensure that you cover all the necessary material before the exam.

How far in advance should I start studying for final exams?

It is recommended to start studying at least 2-3 weeks before your final exams. This will give you enough time to review all the material and feel confident for the exam.

How many hours should I study each day for final exams?

The amount of time you should study each day will depend on your schedule and how much material you need to cover. However, a good rule of thumb is to study for 2-3 hours per day, with breaks in between, to help retain information.

What are some effective study techniques for final exams?

Some effective study techniques include creating flashcards, summarizing notes, practicing past exams, and teaching the material to someone else. It's also important to take breaks, stay hydrated, and get enough sleep to help with retention and focus.

Should I study for all my final exams at once or focus on one at a time?

It is recommended to focus on one exam at a time, as this will allow you to give each exam the attention it deserves. However, make sure to leave enough time to review all the material before each exam.