Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Final Formula

1. Dec 25, 2004 #1
    What does it mean when a question asks you to get a final formula?

I have an example of the question that is asking for this.

1. a) Find a reduction formula for [tex] \int(\ln x)^n dx [/tex] which I did find and got the answer: [tex]x (\ln x)^n - n \int (\ln x)^{n-1} dx [/tex].

But question part b) asks if I can use what I have in a) to get a final formula for [tex] \int(\ln x)^n dx [/tex] ? I do not understand what do they mean by a final formula?

Thanks for any help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2004 #2
    The formula is a final formula if it has NO INTEGRALS in it. So it will just have an algebraic combination of lnx and x.
  4. Dec 25, 2004 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're asked for a recurrence formula,which u already found.Denoting
    [tex] I_{n}=:\int (\ln x)^{n} dx [/tex]
    ,u have forund that:
    [tex] I_{n}=x(\ln x)^{n}-nI_{n-1} [/tex]
    .Make [itex] n\rightarrow n-1[/itex],and get:
    [tex] I_{n-1}=x(\ln x)^{n-1}-(n-1)I_{n-2} [/tex]
    and so on,until
    [tex] I_{0}=x(\ln x)^{0}-0I_{-1}=x [/tex]
    Use te reccurence relations to find [itex] I_{n} [/itex] as a function of "x" and "n".

5. Dec 25, 2004 #4
    I understand this. This is reminding me of my discrete math course. From what I remember, I learned how to find an explicit formula given the recurrence relation but that was only for 1st or 2nd order, homogeneous, linear, and constant co-efficient equations. Now this is calculus and I'm confused since we have these variables and ln x. I dont know how to go about solving this. Could you show me how to solve this recurrence relation?
  6. Dec 25, 2004 #5
    Calulate [tex]I_{1}[/tex] using the first formula with [tex]n=1[/tex] and [tex]I_{0}=x[/tex]. Then calculate the next, and next, and next...until you see the pattern. Then, if required, prove your formula one way or another.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?