1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Final Group Q.

1. Jan 13, 2008 #1
    ok ive managed to solve the other 2 questions.

here is my final one:

(1)
    If G is a group and [itex] n \geq 1 [/itex], define G(n) = { x E G: ord(x) = n}

(2)
    If [itex] G \cong H [/itex] show that, for all [itex] n \geq 1 [/itex], |G(n)| = |H(n)|.

(3)
    Deduce that, [itex]C_3 X C_3[/itex] is not [itex]\cong C_9[/itex].
    Is it true that [itex] C_3 X C_5 \cong C_15[/itex]
    Is it true that [itex] C_2 X C_6 \cong C_12[/itex]

What is going on here?

any help to get me started is highly appreciated. ill attempt the questions as usual once i have some idea of what to do. thnx so much

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just do it. Show that there's a one-one correspondence between the elements of G of order n and the elements of H of order n. Use the fact that there is an isomorphism between G and H, and that isomorphisms preserve order.

4. Jan 16, 2008 #3
    The best way to think of an isomorphism between two groups G and H is that it is a way to rename the elements of G as the elements of H so that you end up with exactly H. If you think of it this way, I think it should not be too hard to show (2).

5. Jan 16, 2008 #4
    smoothman: [itex]C_3 X C_3[/itex]

I think I can remember some of this. An example of the type of problem is the four group: [tex]C_2XC_2[/tex] What happens here?

We have (0,0), (1,0), (0,1), (1,1). You can build up a chart of this under addition, and we get for example: (1,0)+(0,1) = (0,0), which sends us back to zero. (In fact, any element added to itself gives 0.)

So this can not be the cyclic four group consisting, 0+1=1, 1+1=2, 1+2=3,1+3 = 0.

In fact, it is the Kline 4 group.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook