1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Final temp of copper ball

1. Dec 5, 2005 #1
    A copper ball with a radius of 1.4cm is heated until its diameter has increased by 0.22mm. Assuming a room temperature of 22*C, find the final temperature of the ball.

well what i did was i used linear expansion for this and i didnt get it right. i used (delta)L=(alpha)initial L*(delta)Temperature....solving for temperature
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2005 #2
    Well in order to do this... you must use volume expansion since it is not a rod gaining length.... so you must use the equation.... (delta)V = 3*alpha*V*(delta)T and for (delta)V you can substitute in V1-V2
    and remember that you must have it in raidus and not diameter when finding (delta)V so... since the radius then increases by (d/2) you have to remember to convert to meters for both of the radius...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?