Final Temperature of 75g Silicon After 750 Calories Transfer

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 75 gram sample of silicon at 25 degrees C and 750 calories of energy being transferred to it. The question is what the final temperature of the silicon will be after the energy transfer. The conversation suggests reviewing specific heat and heat flow in order to find a solution.
knownothing1

Homework Statement

A 75 gram sample of silicon is at 25 degrees C. If 750 calories of energy is transferred to the silicon what is its final temperature?

Homework Equations

Not sure at all with this one. Please give any suggestions.

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't know where to begin. I think that I am missing some small detail. I have not been able to find a formula for this situation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you should reread your textbook on specific heat and how heat flows when you mix things of different temperatures together. I notice you have posted three questions on similar problems. That says you haven't studied enough.

I would approach this problem by first determining the specific heat capacity of silicon. This is a measure of how much energy is needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. Once I have this value, I can use the formula Q = mcdeltaT, where Q is the energy transferred, m is the mass, c is the specific heat capacity, and deltaT is the change in temperature.

In this case, we have Q = 750 calories, m = 75 grams, and deltaT is what we are trying to find. So we can rearrange the formula to solve for deltaT:

deltaT = Q/(mc)

Plugging in the values, we get:

deltaT = 750 calories / (75 grams * specific heat capacity of silicon)

Now, we just need to find the specific heat capacity of silicon. This can be done by researching or consulting a table of specific heat capacities for different substances. For example, the specific heat capacity of silicon is approximately 0.7 J/g°C.

Plugging this into our formula, we get:

deltaT = 750 calories / (75 grams * 0.7 J/g°C)

Simplifying, we get:

deltaT = 750 calories / 52.5 J/°C

So the final temperature of the silicon would be:

deltaT = 14.29°C

Therefore, the final temperature of the silicon after 750 calories of energy is transferred would be 25°C + 14.29°C = 39.29°C.

What is the specific heat capacity of silicon?

The specific heat capacity of silicon is 0.71 J/g°C.

How much energy is needed to raise the temperature of 75g silicon by 1°C?

The energy needed to raise the temperature of 75g silicon by 1°C is 53.25 J.

How many calories are equivalent to 750 Joules of energy?

750 Joules of energy is equivalent to approximately 179 calories.

How much will the temperature of 75g silicon increase after transferring 750 calories of energy?

The temperature of 75g silicon will increase by approximately 13.8°C after transferring 750 calories of energy.

What other factors may affect the final temperature of the silicon?

Other factors that may affect the final temperature of the silicon include the initial temperature of the silicon, the environment in which the transfer is taking place, and any external sources of heat or cooling.