What is the final velocity of an object sliding down a frictionless ramp?

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving an object with a mass of 2250kg starting from rest at the top of a frictionless ramp and reaching the bottom at an angle of 10 degrees horizontally. The question asks for the velocity of the object at the moment it reaches the bottom of the ramp. The formulas for gravitational potential energy and work are PE = mgh and W = Fd, respectively. The formula for gravitational potential energy is also referred to as GPE and the formula for kinetic energy is 1/2 m v2. The conversation also clarifies that the kinetic energy formula is not 1/2 m plus v2, but rather 1/2 m times v2. Further discussion involves using
Taidhg
I have a question which asks me if an object with a mass of 2250kg starts from rest at the top of a frictionless ramp 10m long and is at an angle of 10 degrees horizontally, what is the velocity of the object the moment it reaches the bottom of the ramp?
I have been trying to work out this question for hours but it baffles me. It does say It can be calculated using the energy method or the linear motion method but I don't properly understand them.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the formula for gravitational potential energy and the formula for work?

Dale said:
What is the formula for gravitational potential energy and the formula for work?
PE = mgh and W = Fd

Oops. I meant the formula for gravitational PE and kinetic energy. Sorry.

Dale said:
Oops. I meant the formula for gravitational PE and kinetic energy. Sorry.
Kinetic energy is 1/2 m v2 but I don't have velocity

Taidhg said:
Kinetic energy is 1/2 m v2 but I don't have velocity
Right, it is what you want to calculate

Dale said:
So because GPE = 220725
v2 = 220725-1/2m?

Dale said:
my calculations were 220725-½2250 = 219600squared
root 219600 = 468.6 m/s2
I feel like I am doing something wrong.

Taidhg said:
v2 = 220725-1/2m?
Did you really mean to write 220725 minus 1/2m?

Kinetic energy is 1/2m times v2, not 1/2m plus v2.

By the way, most people here will read 1/2m as "one divided by 2m", not "one-half m". Better to write it as (1/2)m or more simply m/2.

jtbell said:
Did you really mean to write 220725 minus 1/2m?

Kinetic energy is 1/2m times v2, not 1/2m plus v2.

By the way, most people here will read 1/2m as "one divided by 2m", not "one-half m". Better to write it as (1/2)m or more simply m/2.
I see what I have done, I got the right answer at last. Thanks for the help :)

Also, it's a good idea to "first do the algebra, then do the arithmetic." In this case, start with (1/2)mv2 = mgh, then rearrange the equation to put v all by itself on the left, and finally plug in the numbers and calculate the result in one go on your calculator. See what happens to m?

Taidhg said:
So because GPE = 220725
v2 = 220725-1/2m?
Where are you getting the ##-\frac 1 2 m##? Check your units. Does that make sense? Can you subtract mass from energy?

Always include your units, what you have written is confusing and including units will reduce the confusion and avoid mistakes like this.

Taidhg said:
my calculations were 220725-½2250 = 219600squared
root 219600 = 468.6 m/s2
I feel like I am doing something wrong.
Stick with the algebraic representation and re-arrangement until the very end and then substitute the numbers that you have. That way you will be able to solve any such question.

1. What is final velocity confusion?

Final velocity confusion is a common misconception in physics that occurs when individuals incorrectly assume that an object must come to a complete stop before changing direction. In reality, an object can change direction without stopping, resulting in a continuous change in velocity.

2. How does final velocity confusion affect calculations?

Final velocity confusion can lead to incorrect calculations of an object's velocity and acceleration. This can result in errors in predicting an object's motion and can also affect other related calculations, such as force and energy.

3. What causes final velocity confusion?

Final velocity confusion is often caused by a misunderstanding of the concept of inertia, which is the tendency of an object to resist changes in motion. This misconception leads individuals to believe that an object must stop before changing direction, rather than understanding that an object's velocity can change without stopping.

4. How can final velocity confusion be avoided?

To avoid final velocity confusion, it is important to have a solid understanding of the concept of inertia. Additionally, practicing with various physics problems and visualizing the motion of objects can help to develop a better understanding of how velocity can change without stopping.

5. What are some real-life examples of final velocity confusion?

Final velocity confusion can be observed in everyday situations, such as a car making a turn without coming to a complete stop or a ball bouncing off a wall without stopping. In both cases, the object changes direction without stopping, causing confusion for those who do not understand the concept of inertia.