1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Final velocity of a projectile

1. Sep 21, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A golfer hits a shot to a green that is elevated 3.0 m above the point where the ball is struck. The ball leaves the club at a speed of 14.0 m/s at an angle of 40.0° above the horizontal . It rises to its maximum height and then falls down to the green. Ignoring air resistance, find the peed of the ball just before it lands.

2. Relevant equations
    ##v_x = v_{0x} = \left \| v_0 \right \|\cos\theta##
    ##v_y^2 = v_{0y}^2 + 2ay##
    ##v = \sqrt{v_x^2 + v_y^2}##
    3. The attempt at a solution

We begin with ##v = \sqrt{v_x^2 + v_y^2}## since the magnitude of the final velocity is what we desire. Thus, we need to find ##v_x## and ##v_y##. Therefore, we use ##v_x = v_{0x} = \left \| v_0 \right \|\cos\theta## since the velocity in the x-direction does not change from the initial (we're neglecting air resistance). Thus ##v_x = (14 ~m/s)\cos40^{\circ} = 10.7~m/s##. Now,we find ##v_y##, the final velocity in the y-direction. Since time is not metioned, we'll use ##v_y^2 = v_{0y}^2 + 2ay##, specifically ##v_y = -\sqrt{v_{0y}^2 + 2ay}##. Thus ##v_y = -\sqrt{v_{0y}^2 + 2ay} = -\sqrt{(v\sin\theta)^2 + 2(-9.8~m/s^2)(3~m - 0~m)} = -4.71~m/s##. Therefore, the magnitude of the final velocity should be ##v = \sqrt{v_x^2 + v_y^2} = \sqrt{(10.7~m/s)^2 + (-4.71~m/s)^2} = 11.7~m/s ##. Is this the correct answer? If not what am I doing wrong and why?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2015 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You might want to write this as ##v_y^2 = v_{0y}^2 + 2a\Delta y##

(You have the change in height being positive.)

Another way to double check your answer is to use energy principles.

4. Sep 21, 2015 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Did you mean ##v_{0y}^2 = v_{y}^2 + 2a\Delta y##?

5. Sep 21, 2015 #4

Doc Al

No, I think I had it correct.

I believe he's using ##v_{0y}## to represent the y-component of the initial velocity.

6. Sep 21, 2015 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sorry - my mistake.

7. Sep 21, 2015 #6
    So is the final answer correct or incorrect? I did utilize a change in y since the final position is 3m and the initial is 0m; the change in that is just 3m. Is my approach correct or am I missing something?

8. Sep 21, 2015 #7

Doc Al

Oops... I just realized that I misread the problem. The green was 3m higher, not the tee. So your approach looks fine to me. I'll check the answer in a minute.

9. Sep 21, 2015 #8

Doc Al

Yes, your answer is correct.

10. Sep 21, 2015 #9
    Awesome! Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted