Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Final velocity of an object accelerated across a given distance with constant power

1. Aug 10, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object of mass M begins with a velocity of 0 m/s at a point. A power input of P watts goes directly to kinetic energy until the object has traveled a distance of X meters. What is the final velocity of the object?

So, we have constant variables
    M = mass
    X = distance that power will be input
    P = power level

And also
    V = final velocity, after traveling distance X (to be solved)

2. Relevant equations

E = 1/2MV[tex]^{2}[/tex]
    X = [tex]\int[/tex]V(t) dt - V(t) is V as a function of time.
    E = P*t

3. The attempt at a solution

Find V as a function of E (easy)
    V = [tex]\sqrt{2E}[/tex]/M

Find V as a funciton of time t (use equation)
    V = [tex]\sqrt{2P*t}[/tex]/M

Now take the equation for X
    X = [tex]\int[/tex]V(t) dt

And Find X as a function of t directly, knowing the V(t) function
    X = [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\sqrt{2P*t}[/tex]/M dt Edit: Should be, and was calculated as ([tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\sqrt{2P*t}[/tex] dt)/M

Integrate (remember that sqrt(2P) is a constant)
    X(t) = (2/3)*[tex]\sqrt{2P}[/tex]*t[tex]^{3/2}[/tex]/M

Now change to t in terms of X
    t(X) = ((3/2)/[tex]\sqrt{2P}[/tex]*M*X)[tex]^{2/3}[/tex]

And finally slide that into the V(t) equation
    V(X) = [tex]\sqrt{2P}[/tex]*((3/2)/[tex]\sqrt{2P}[/tex]*M*X)[tex]^{1/3}[/tex]/M

Simplify (whew!)
    V(X) = 3[tex]^{1/3}[/tex]*2[tex]^{-1/6}[/tex]*P[tex]^{1/3}[/tex]*X[tex]^{1/3}[/tex]*M[tex]^{-2/3}[/tex]

So, V correlates directly with the cube root of X, the cube root of P, and M^(-2/3), with a weird constant.

Am I right? Am I not? If not, where did I go wrong?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Your general solution is fine, but I think you made some calculation errors... your m should be under the square root... so that affects your final exponent on m... also I'm getting that the 2 cancels out (ie the power of 2 is 0)...

I'm getting: [tex]3^{1/3}*p^{1/3}*x^{1/3}*m^{-1/3}[/tex] as the final velocity. Though I may have screwed up...

4. Aug 10, 2007 #3
    Which specific step does the miscalculation occur? I can't quite see what you mean.

Also, a more general question about energy: What will a constant power input do to something with a velocity with no immediate context, like a rocket in space?

On the one hand, I think acceleration should remain constant, because it's change in momentum is relative only to itself, but on the other hand, a constant rate of fuel consumption should mean a a constant power input. The two don't seem to be compatible. What gives?

5. Aug 10, 2007 #4
    Integrate (remember that sqrt(2P) is a constant)
    X(t) = (2/3)*LaTeX graphic is being generated. Reload this page in a moment.*tLaTeX graphic is being generated. Reload this page in a moment./M

Now change to t in terms of X
    t(X) = ((3/2)/LaTeX graphic is being generated. Reload this page in a moment.*M*X)LaTeX graphic is being generated. Reload this page in a moment.

here?

edit: the step where u isolated t.

6. Aug 10, 2007 #5
    I see where I went wrong with the 2^(-1/6), it should just be 3^(1/3) for the constant, but I still don't see the problem with the M. It was transformed from M to M^(2/3), then square rooted to M^(1/3), which was over M, which is M^(-2/3).

7. Aug 10, 2007 #6

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Here is the mistake... the M should be under the square root.

8. Aug 10, 2007 #7
    Ah, you're indeed right. I see now. And it makes sense if you look at units too.

Okay, Thanks learningphysics!

9. Aug 10, 2007 #8

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Acceleration isn't constant for constant power...

10. Aug 10, 2007 #9

learningphysics

Homework Helper

you're welcome.

11. Aug 10, 2007 #10
    Can anyone answer the third post of the topic, where I ask about conservation of momentum V. conservation of energy in the case of the rocket?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook