1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Final Velocity Question

1. Jun 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A rock is tossed straight up with a speed of 20 m/s. When it returns, it falls into a hole 10 m deep.

What is the rock's velocity as it hits the bottom of the hole?

2. Relevant equations
    V = Vo + at
    Y - Yo = Vot + .5at2
    v2 = vo2 + 2a(Y - Yo)
    Y - Yo = .5(Vo + V)t

3. The attempt at a solution
    My answer is -24 m/s but the book reports positive 24 m/s. I don't see why this is the answer if the rock is moving downward. I've identified up as the positive direction. I got my answer by using equation v2 = vo2 + 2a(Y - Yo) where V was unknown, Vo =20 m/s, a=-9.8, displacement=-10. I know the calculator only gives positive square roots but you can have negative square roots also and since this object is moving down, shouldn't the velocity be -24 m/s. The question later asks for time and according to the book, the value is 4.5 seconds using equation Y - Yo = Vot + .5at2 but this only true if you plug is -24 m/s not simply positive 24 m/s. This is why I don't see why the answer book doesn't report -24 m/s as the final velocity before it hits the bottom of the whole. This is very frustrating.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are right. If the initial velocity is positive, the final one is negative. 24 m/s is the final speed.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook