1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finally getting that Ph.D

1. Mar 22, 2005 #1
    Well... How long did it take any of you guys to get your Ph.D. or even M.S. in Physics or Mathematics?

As of right now, I am double majoring in physics and math and will get a B.S. in physics and B.A. in math by next year, totalling 3 years. I'm just wondering how much more time I would need to dedicate to get the higher degrees.

Also... is it recommended to attempt getting both a physics and math masters' degree at the same time...? The reason I ask is because the two subject have so much correlation to each other so it would not be too difficult to sustain both subjects.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2005 #2

Gold Member

1)My professors' concensus is that after BS, theoretical physicists take 6-7 years for their PhD and 7-8 for experimentalists.

2) Very recommended i bet
  4. Mar 22, 2005 #3
    in canada anyway, after you get your BS & want to become a master of it, i think they usually give you 2 years. some schools have a 1-year program geared for people who want to get the Piled Higher & Deeper, & it's more like a 5th-year of the BS than actually becoming a master of the BS. that's for math anyway. i think getting it piled higher & deeper takes ~3 years on top of that at most schools.
  5. Mar 22, 2005 #4

Science Advisor

I ain't got my PhD yet. :biggrin:
  6. Mar 23, 2005 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

administrative note: I'm moving this from General Discussion to Academic & Career Guidance
  7. Mar 23, 2005 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

There's a PhD in Janitorial Science??!!

<ZapperZ runs and hides from Janitor>

8. Mar 23, 2005 #7
    About M.Sc in Physics, it depends on the instution. Most UK universities offer one-year programs after finishing a 3-year B.Sc course.
  9. Mar 24, 2005 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?