1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finally going to school

1. Jan 25, 2009 #1
    Well I am finally going to start college in the summer or fall. I will be 24. I am in the Army and currently deployed to Iraq but I will be getting out in June. haven't quite decided what I am going to do yet though. But most of my options include a heavy dose of math and physics; engineering, computer science etc.

As of right now my math knowledge is practically null. Pretty much a basic understanding of Algebra. That's what I get for not paying attention in high school and playing Army for the last 5 years. I am anxious to get started. I not want to be too far behind when I do start school. Can anyone point me in the right direction to any online material, e-books that are good for beginners?

Currently my plan is to go to a community college for 2 years or so and then transfer to university. Does this look bad later on when I want to go to grad school? I plan on going to a school in Texas to take full advantage of the financial benefits. What are some good engineering schools in Texas? I will be basically starting from scratch. I never took the SATs or ACTs as I didn't care in high school, which is why I am in the military. But my point of view is drastically different now days.

Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2009 #2
    Here is my response to a similar thread elsewhere

~Casey

4. Jan 25, 2009 #3
    http://www.wtamu.edu/academic/anns/mps/math/mathlab/beg_algebra/

That is a link to the West Texas A&M University Beginning Algebra site. They have 36 different tutorials; I suggest you start with the very first. Even if you're familiar with some of the content, it's not a bad idea to review some of it before going back to school.

Basic stuff, but a very good review of that basic stuff. I hope that helps.

Edit: Thanks for posting that, Saladsamurai. As a nontraditional student myself I can say that it is encouraging to read about other people's experiences returning to school.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?