Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finally Some Good Movies!

1. Dec 29, 2006 #1
    Here are some good movies you should go see while they are out. They were good, FINALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY!!! LONG OVERDUE.

• Blood Diamond
    • Good Shepherd
    • Apocalypto
    • Rocky Balboa

You will get your moneys worth from these movies, I promise. I felt cheated for the CRAP hollywood has been putting out. Now they are getting back into the upswing, hopefully.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2006 #2
    And just in time, I got a bunch of free movie passes!

4. Dec 30, 2006 #3

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The Prestige and The Illusionist were pretty good, as was The Pursuit of Happyness.

5. Dec 30, 2006 #4

ranger

Gold Member

Blood Diamond is a damn good movie. I also saw the 2 hour documentary on the History Channel on these "Blood Diamonds". I'm in shock, I'll never look at diamonds in the same way. We should get more women to watch this documentary.

6. Dec 30, 2006 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good Sheperd is pretty good. Apocalypto is a complete waste of 2 hours - I'd have prefered to have a couple teeth pulled out instead!

7. Dec 30, 2006 #6
    Why? Factually, its not that far off the mark.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2006
  8. Dec 31, 2006 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just as the quasar GB1508 isn't too far from here! But aside from the complete lack of care with historical accuracy (for instance, the Mayan town depicted in the movie is from the 9th century, roughly 700 years before the Spaniards landed), what was the movie but an elaborate chase scene reverberating with Mel's oh so favorite theme of "Destiny"? It was perdictable, plotless and a bloody bore!

9. Dec 31, 2006 #8
    Ok, I would put it on the bottom of the list of movies I gave. But still, its not THAT bad.

10. Dec 31, 2006 #9
    Please don't talk about teeth! :frown:

11. Dec 31, 2006 #10

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

All I've seen is Pan's Labyrinth and that was a hell of a movie.

12. Dec 31, 2006 #11
    good shepherd was crap. that movie tried WAY to hard to be "smart" and you end up getting lost in the plot. you would have to watch that movie 5 times just to understand it. good shepherd is like syriana. both movies are way too complicated to follow and have 100 stories with 100 different characters going on all at the same time.

13. Dec 31, 2006 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I liked both movies!

14. Dec 31, 2006 #13
    I saw a preview for that yesterday when I saw Blood Diamond, and it looks like a really good movie, but it hasn't been in theaters anywhere near me.

15. Dec 31, 2006 #14

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I haven't watched Good Shepherd yet, but Syriana was a very good movie!

16. Dec 31, 2006 #15
    What..............:rolleyes:

I understood the movie.

I did not like Syriana though, way too long and too much story stuffed into it. But this movie is NOT like syriana.

17. Dec 31, 2006 #16

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why is that.

18. Dec 31, 2006 #17
    To understand the Good Shepherd I felt like you needed a notepad and pen to follow everything that was going on. I went to see the Good Shepherd (a 3 hour movie) at 10:45 so maybe I was a little tired and wasn't paying attention.

********spoiler warning**************

please explain this stuff to me

1.) i still don't get the whole deal with the russian guy who came to the CIA. why did the british guy give him the ulysses book with all the stuff in it? why not just give the book to mat damon?

2.) why did the CIA drop all the locusts on the coffee bean farm and why did the CIA boss guy get money from it ?
    3.) who killed matt damon's son's wife? the russians or the cia?

4.) are the skull and bones really that homoerotic? I guess it is true what they say about those yale guys...

Last edited: Dec 31, 2006
  19. Dec 31, 2006 #18
    What, I saw it at the same time. You dont need a notepad to follow that movie.

20. Dec 31, 2006 #19

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You mean the fact it was directed by reactionary catholic biggot Mel Gibson isn't enough? Also a lot of his films are historically inaccurate taking for example Braveheart which is possibly the worst film ever made.

I think Rocky Balboa is probably 4 films too far in that franchise aswell. Such a shame because the first was so beautifully written.

21. Dec 31, 2006 #20
    1.) i still don't get the whole deal with the russian guy who came to the CIA. why did the british guy give him the ulysses book with all the stuff in it? why not just give the book to mat damon?

What? The british guy was a double agent, and so was the russian guy. Thats why they put him in jail in the end.

2.) why did the CIA drop all the locusts on the coffee bean farm and why did the CIA boss guy get money from it ?

Because they wanted to ruin the presidents source of money into the country.

3.) who killed matt damon's son's wife? the russians or the cia?

Matt had her killed.

4.) are the skull and bones really that homoerotic? I guess it is true what they say about those yale guys...

Did you even pay attention to the movie, at all? :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?