Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finally - why women can't read maps

1. Jan 30, 2005 #1
    Finally - why women can't read maps
    From correspondents in New Mexico
    January 24, 2005

MEN frequently despair at women's map-reading skills - or rather their lack of them. Now scientists believe they have pinpointed the reason for this conflict between the sexes.

Researchers say it is all down to differences in the reliance of the sexes on either grey matter or white matter in their brains to solve problems.

They found that in intelligence tests men use 6.5 times as much grey matter as women, but women use nine times as much white matter.

[ . . . ]

Complete article at http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,12033956-13762,00.html

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2005 #2

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

let's not be biased in providing these sort of links. is your intention here to smear women? or just to promote men for the lack of your own security?
    :smile: interesting the article does say this though:

the basis of this article is men can read maps better (although the joke is they don't like to follow directions), but women can speak more fluently.

:rofl:

4. Jan 30, 2005 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It seems to me, that there is quite a lot of cross-cultural studies which indicate that women have somewhat less developed spatial orientation skills than men (on average).

Since it is cross-cultural, we might possibly link it to a difference in genetics.

5. Jan 30, 2005 #4

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Jan 30, 2005 #5
    Science is science, regardless of the conclusions or regardless of whose feelings gets hurt.

That being said, I have negative opinions of both genders: While I find women to be too sentimental, I find men to be too violent. Both genders are way too irrational. Basically, I find the human species itself to be genetically undesirable and requiring a complete redesigning.

Cheers!

7. Jan 30, 2005 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I am better than any man I've ever known when it comes to reading maps or figuring out directions. I have an uncanny "sense" for direction. If you ever get lost in the woods, you'll want me around. :wink:

You can stereotype people, but there will always be exceptions.

8. Jan 30, 2005 #7

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Evo, I agree. In my family the women are much better navigators than the men, who tend to go off in a daydream and miss landmarks. As my father used to say, "I'm not lost, I'm just enjoying the landscape."

9. Jan 30, 2005 #8
    Studies like this are all about averages: men on average have better visio-spatial/mathematical abilities, and women on average have better verbal abilities. And there are plenty of exceptions. Coming from a cultural background that has been given many negative attributes, I personally am a very conspicuous exception as well.

10. Jan 30, 2005 #9

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually I think it says that women speak more profusely. Hey, I think these people are on to something! :biggrin:

11. Jan 30, 2005 #10

Evo

I have to agree with women being more talkative. :wink:

I really haven't noticed better verbal abilities in adult women as opposed to adult men although I think young girls on average develop these skills quicker.

Women tend to multi-task better from what I have observed.

12. Jan 30, 2005 #11

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Ditto here Evo, as I do a lot of traveling to cities all over the Pacific Northwest and have that sense of direction you are talking about from putting on tens of thousands of driving miles.

No, science can be reported with incorrect results very easily, do remember as humans we are imperfect and can report results imperfectly. What is your intent with this thread anyhow? Especially since you only addressed part of the article.

13. Jan 30, 2005 #12
    I did not address any part, I posted the title as it was named in the original article. Perhaps you should contact the original researchers and let them know you find their conclusions to be politically incorrect and emotionally troubling for you.

Cheers!

14. Jan 30, 2005 #13

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

i'll requote your opening post here, then tell me you didn't address any part.
    :biggrin:

from the two women here who are able to read maps, i would say you need to reconsider your original resources.

15. Jan 30, 2005 #14
    My opening post was simply the first few paragraphs of the article, followed by the link to the rest, as is the standard procedure for posting articles. None of that was my own words.

But, shouldn't science stand on its own, regardless of the motives of the scientist? Even if differential gender psychology reseachers were "anti-woman," as you seem to say of them, what would that have to do with the validity of the reseach itself?

Cheers!

16. Jan 31, 2005 #15

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I know what your opening post was. My question was why did you post it? Was it your intent to inform others that "scientific research" claims women can't read maps? Was it meant to be a little joke? How many people were sampled? Was it just done in a certain area, say like a small town where the majority of women may be homemakers rather then the women living in a larger city who must navigate themselves around busy roads and such?

There is a lot of bias in science, depending on who is profiting and who wants people to think what. You really have to question the validity of these "tests". Just like you really have to question the validity and intent of your newssources at times...don't take everything at face value because it calls itself "science".

17. Jan 31, 2005 #16

Astronuc

Red is red, and stupid is stupid, i.e. the original statement does not add anything meaningful to the arguement.

Science can be abused and misinterpreted.

Actually, most men (many of whom are scientists or engineers) I know are poor at giving directions and using maps. In general, many men simply are too embarassed to ask for help when they are lost.

On average, most women I know are no worse with map reading than most men I know. It all depends on the individual.

As Kerrie pointed out, "There is a lot of bias in science". Not only that, there seems to be a general and systemic bias against women in most societies. I would even venture to speculate that too many men suffer from lack of self-esteem (or otherwise feelings of inadequacy) to the point that they have to belittle women. Shame that.

Science and knowledge should be used to enhance humanity. I think very little of "science" or "pseudo-science" that is used to denigrate any person or persons.

The genius of women is a given. Whether or not men appreciate that is another matter.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  18. Feb 1, 2005 #17
    I would also urge those in the scientific community to realize that our idea of "science" is highly biased by culture. By that token, no scientific "fact" should be taken as a universal, despite whatever cross-cultural (and probably inaccurate) studies have been done.

19. Feb 1, 2005 #18
    to astronuc: agreed. I think true manhood is to be confident about your own sexuality. A real man is not afraid to let women tower above him.

20. Feb 1, 2005 #19
    Anecdotal evidence notwithstanding, there is a lot of proof that on average women have slightly poorer spatial skills than men, and on average men have slightly poorer verbal skills than women. This says nothing about any particular individual.

Real men and women are not afraid to face the facts.

21. Feb 1, 2005 #20
    Arthur Jensen on sex differences in visual-spatial abilities

(Arthur Jensen. The g Factor. Chapter 13: Sex Differences In g. pp533-534.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?