1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finance Problems

1. Dec 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Compute the compound amount after 1 year for $7,700 invested at 8% interest compounded quarterly. What simple interest rate will yield the same amount in 1 year? (Round your answer to 2 decimal places.)

2. The attempt at a solution
    I did this on my calculator so...

N=4
    I%=8
    PV=7700
    PMT=0
    FV=8334.727632
    P/Y=4
    C/Y=4

The amount compounded in the year is 8334.727632-7700=634.727632. Is that first part right? If so, I still don't know how to get the simple interest rate after finding out the amount compounded.

------

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In 3 years, Jim wants to have $22,090 to buy a new car. How much must Jim save each month if the interest rate is 6% compounded monthly? How much of the $22,090 does Jim actually deposit and how much of it is interest?

2. The attempt at a solution
    I figured out that Jim must save $561.5705983 per month. Using the calculator:

N=36
    I%=6
    PV=0
    PMT=$561.5705983
    FV=22090
    P/Y=12
    C/Y=12

I'm not sure how to find out how much he actually deposited and how much of it is interest.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The number above is basically the compound amount; you just need to round it to the nearest cent.
    The $634.73 is your interest. The formula for simple interest is I = Prt. The only thing you don't know in this formula is the interest rate. You have already calculated I, the interest, and you know the amount invested, P, and the time, 1 year.
    This is an annuity problem, where an investment of a certain size is made each month. You need a formula for this unless the goal is for you to derive a formula.
    You said "using the calculator" but I have no idea what you did with your calculator.

4. Dec 3, 2009 #3
    Your final compounded value is incorrect. The answer is about $10475.76.
    Now that you have the compounded value, you can see that the interest you earn in that one year is $10475.76-7700=$2775.76. I will leave it up to you to try the formula FV = PV (1+i)^n to find the answer that I got. Remember i is the interest rate (not in %) and n is the number of periods. In one year, you would have 4 periods if the interest is compounded quarterly.

Now use I = Prt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook