Find Final Amount on Deposit After 21 Years of Compounding Interest

• Thread starter rain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Finance
In summary, Sam deposited 10,000 every year for 12 years and then put that amount in another account for another 9 years but without depositing anymore. At the end of the 12 years, he had $270978.43 in the bank. He then deposited that amount into a bank at 6% interest compounded semi-annually for 9 years and the total money he had at the end was $284527.35.
rain
Sam deposts $10,000 at the beginning of each year for 12 years in an account paying 5% compounded annually. He then puts the total amount on deposit in another account paying 6% compounded semiannually for another 9 years. Find the final amount on deposit after the entire 21 year period.

Did I understand this question right?
He deposit 10,000 every year for 12 years and then put that amount in another account for another 9 years but without depositing anymore?

the answer i got is $270978.43

can anybody just check that for me? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't memorized any "financial" formulas so let me see if I can think it through. Let A= 10000 (so I don't have to keep typing that!). Then the first A deposited sits in the bank for 12 years at 5% interest and is worth A(1.05)12 at the end of those 12 years. The A deposited at the start of the next year is in the bank for 11 years and so have value A(1.05)11. The A deposited at the start of the next year will have value A(1.05)10, etc. We add them all together and so have,at the end of the 12 years A(1.05)+ A(1.05)2+ A(1.05)3+ ...+ A(1.05)12. That is a "geometric series" of the form [itex]\Sigma{n=0}^11 ar^n[/itex] with a= A(1.05)= 10000(1.05)= 10500 (NOT A= 10000 because he did not add 10000 at the end of the last year) and r= 1.05. The formula for the sum of such a series is [itex]a\frac{1- r^{12}}{1-r}= 10500\frac{1- 1.05^{12}}{1- 1.05}= 10500\frac{-.7958}{-.05}= 167129.83[/itex]
He will have $167129.83 after the 12 years (he deposited $120,000 himself and earned $47129.83 in interest).
Now, he deposits that into a bank at 6% interest compounded semi-annually for 9 years. Each half year, the money will have earned 3% interest and there are 18 half year periods in 9 years. At the end of the 21 years, the money will be worth 167129.83(1.03)18= $284527.35. That's slightly more than what you got!

i got it now. thanks a lot. its very helpful.

1. How is the final amount on deposit calculated after 21 years of compounding interest?

The final amount on deposit after 21 years of compounding interest is calculated using the formula A = P(1+r/n)^(nt), where A is the final amount, P is the principal deposit, r is the annual interest rate, n is the number of compounding periods per year, and t is the total number of years. This formula takes into account the effect of compounding interest over time.

2. What is the difference between simple and compound interest?

Simple interest is calculated only on the principal amount, while compound interest is calculated on both the principal and accumulated interest. This means that compound interest will result in a higher final amount on deposit compared to simple interest, as the interest is continuously added to the principal over time and earns additional interest.

3. How often is the interest compounded?

The frequency of compounding interest can vary, but it is typically compounded annually, semi-annually, quarterly, or monthly. The more frequent the compounding, the higher the final amount on deposit will be.

4. Is the final amount on deposit affected by the interest rate?

Yes, the final amount on deposit is directly affected by the interest rate. A higher interest rate will result in a higher final amount, while a lower interest rate will result in a lower final amount. It is important to consider the interest rate when making deposits and choosing investment options.

5. Can the final amount on deposit be predicted accurately?

The final amount on deposit can be predicted accurately using the compound interest formula. However, it is important to note that unforeseen events or changes in interest rates can affect the final amount. It is always best to regularly monitor and reassess investments to ensure the desired final amount is reached.