1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finance stock homework help

1. Nov 26, 2005 #1
    I need some help on some finance questions
    1) A stock that sold for $22 at the beginning of the year was selling for $24 at the end of the year. If the stock paid a dividend of $0.50 per share, what is the simple interest rate on an investment in thei stock?

the simple interest rate formula is
    A=P(1+rt)
    so A=24
    P=22
    t=1
    r=?
    am I on the right tract? What do you do with the $0.50 per share?

2. A developer needs $ 80,000 to buy land. He is able to borrow the money at 10% per year compounded quarterly. How much will the interest amount to if he pays off the load in 5 years?

compound interest formula is
    A=P(1+i)^n....do you use this formula?
    I don't really understand what the question is asking.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If the stock was sold for $24 after receiving the dividend of $0.50, so you actually get back $24.50. Use that formula with A= 24.50, not 24 and solve for r.
    Can we assume that he pays the $80,000 principal back at the end of the 5 years? Because if he pays back part of the principal each month, say, the formula becomes a lot more complicated!
    Yes, assuming that, as I just said, he has to pay interest on the entire $80,000 for the entire 5 years, you can use A= P(1+i)n. However, because it is "compounded quarterly" you have to figure it in quarters. i= 0.10/4= 0.025, the interest per quarter instead of per year. And, of course, n= 4*5= 20 quarters, not 5 years. Taking P= 80000, find A. That's the entire amount paid- principle and interest. Subtract the $80,000 principle to find how much of it was interest.
    You can approximate that, to check your answer, by using simple interest. At 10% interest for 5 years, his interest would amount to 5*10%= 50%. 50% of $80,000 is $40,000. Of course, compounded quarterly, his interest will amount to more than that.

Since this problem doesn't have anything to do with "Calculus and Analysis" and looks to me like homework, I am moving it

Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
  4. Nov 27, 2005 #3
    for 1) the rate is 11.36%
    for 2) the interest is $51089.32
    am i correct?

5. Nov 27, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's what I get.

6. Nov 27, 2005 #5
    thanks a lot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?