1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finances- PreCalc

1. Aug 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Rebecca and Tom Payton have decided to buy a home that costs $200,000. The Paytons can put down 20% of the home's price. They have applied for a 15-year, 9% FRM to finance the balance. They Paytons have a combined gross annual income of $70,000.

How much will the Paytons pay to satisfy their mortgage loan, if they make all the payments on time for the amount being financed?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know where to start.
    I got 200,000(.20) = 40000
    Then I don't know where to go after that.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2010 #2
    What does FRM stand for?

4. Aug 28, 2010 #3
    FRM in this context stands for "Fixed Rate Mortgage" (so the rate doesn't change over the life of the loan).

5. Aug 28, 2010 #4

eumyang

Homework Helper

Wouldn't the Present Value of an Annuity formula work for this problem?
    [tex]PV = R\frac{1 - (1 + i)^{-n}}{i}[/tex]

PV = the amount of the loan.
    R = the amount of a payment.
    i = the interest rate per period.
    n = the number of equal payments.

The OP didn't state how often the payments need to be made. I'll assume monthly. Plug in 160,000 for PV (200,000 minus 20% down), .0075 for i (interest rate .09 divided by 12 months in a year), and 180 for n (15 years times 12 monthly payments in a year), and solve for R.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook