Financial contract 2 - Average annual return computed in two ways.

• Thread starter JohanL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Average
In summary, the first calculation of the average annual return for the Dow Jones Industrial Average over the last 22 years is a measure of the overall performance of the stock market, while the second calculation of the average return between two days separated by one year is a measure of the short-term fluctuations in the market. These two numbers should not necessarily be the same, as they are measuring different aspects of the stock market's performance. It is important to carefully consider the context and purpose of each calculation in order to accurately interpret and compare the results.
JohanL
First i calculate the the average annual return for the Dow jones industrial average
over the last 22 years by using the first and last value.

To continue writing my code i also need to calculate
the average return between two days separated by one year
for every day over the last 22 years.

Shouldnt these two numbers be the same?
clear

fid = fopen( 'DJ30Daily.csv', 'r' );
str = fread( fid, '*char' );
sts = fclose( fid );
str( str == '"' ) = [];
str( str == ',' ) = '.';
cac = textscan( str, '%f' );

DJ30Daily = cell2mat(cac);

DJ30Daily = DJ30Daily(121:5668);

n=length(DJ30Daily);

K=DJ30Daily(n)-DJ30Daily(1);

P=(K/DJ30Daily(1));

AverageAnnualReturnPercentLast22y = nthroot(P, 22)m=252-1;

d=n-m;

Ptot=0;for i=1:d

K2=DJ30Daily(i+m)-DJ30Daily(i);
P2=K2/DJ30Daily(i);

P2=P2+1;

Ptot=Ptot+P2;

endAverageReturnBetweenDaysSepartedBy1yearOverTheLast22years=Ptot/d

AverageAnnualReturnPercentLast22y =

1.0575AverageReturnBetweenDaysSepartedBy1yearOverTheLast22years =

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your code and calculations. it is important to always double check your calculations and make sure they are accurate. In this case, the two numbers should not necessarily be the same.

The first calculation, the average annual return for the Dow Jones Industrial Average over the last 22 years, is a measure of the overall performance of the stock market over a long period of time. It takes into account the first and last value of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, and calculates the average return over 22 years. This number tells us how much the market has grown on average each year over the last 22 years.

The second calculation, the average return between two days separated by one year, is a measure of the short-term fluctuations in the stock market. It takes into account the daily changes in the Dow Jones Industrial Average over the last 22 years, and calculates the average return between two days that are one year apart. This number tells us how much the market has fluctuated on average over the last 22 years.

So while both numbers are important in understanding the performance of the stock market, they are measuring different things and therefore it is not expected for them to be the same. It is important to carefully consider the context and purpose of each calculation in order to accurately interpret and compare the results.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion and encourages you to continue double checking your calculations as a scientist. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the difference between average annual return and average annualized return?

Average annual return is the average of the annual returns over a specific period of time, while average annualized return takes into account the effect of compounding. This means that average annualized return is a more accurate measure of the overall return on an investment.

2. Can you explain how to calculate average annual return?

Average annual return is calculated by taking the sum of the annual returns over a specific period of time and dividing it by the number of years in that period. For example, if an investment had annual returns of 10%, 12%, and 8% over a 3-year period, the average annual return would be (10% + 12% + 8%) / 3 = 10%.

3. How is average annual return used in financial contracts?

Average annual return is often used as a benchmark for evaluating the performance of an investment. In financial contracts, it may be used to determine the amount of interest or profit to be paid to an investor. It can also be used as a measure of risk, as a higher average annual return may indicate a riskier investment.

4. What are the limitations of using average annual return?

Average annual return only takes into account the annual returns and does not consider the timing or volatility of those returns. This means that it may not accurately reflect the actual performance of an investment, especially if there are large fluctuations in returns over the given period of time. It also does not account for any fees or expenses associated with the investment.

5. How does average annual return differ from total return?

While average annual return looks at the average return over a specific period of time, total return takes into account the overall return of an investment, including any changes in the initial investment amount. Total return may also factor in dividends or interest earned on the investment.