Maximizing Mortgage Borrowing Potential with Continuous Interest and Payments

• Thread starter jaejoon89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diffeq
In summary, the problem asks how much money you can borrow if the interest rate and the mortgage term are both 8%. The answer is that you can borrow up to $120 000.
jaejoon89
I am having trouble understanding conceptually the following DiffEq problem:

"Suppose you can afford no more than $500 per month of payment on a mortgage. The interest rate is 8% and the mortgage term is 20 yrs. If the interest is compounded continuously and payments are made continuously, what is the max. amount you can borrow and the total interest paid during the mortgage term?"

1) dA/dt = r*A
2) A(t)=A_0*e^rt

dA/dt is the rate of change of the value of the investment... would that just be the 500/month, and use that to find the original investment?

I'm not sure I understand... From the 2nd equation A'(t) = A_0*r*e^rt, but 500/month would be fixed so doesn't resemble A'(t)...

Physics news on Phys.org
What does it mean that "the Interest is compounded continuously"?

A(t) is the amount you owe at time t. It increases continuously due to interest, and decreases continuously due to repayments. I think you need the variable r to encompass both these effects.

I've been thinking about this problem I feel like it's not being asked properly... it seems like they want you to calculate the principle A_0 which would grow to $120 000 after 20 years of continuous compounding at 8%, ignoring repayments.

The fact that it says "continuous repayments" is also troubling. If we make payments continuously at a rate of $500 / month, but the amount continuously grows at a rate 0.08*A, the only way to ever reduce A to zero would be if the initial rate of growth is $500 / month. Otherwise A could only increase.

EDIT: I just read what I wrote and realized that I pretty much answered the question for you :P. Here's the trick:

[tex] \frac{dA}{dt}=r*A - 6000 [/tex]

Ie, the rate of change of the amount includes a fixed continuous rate of $6000 / year.

Thanks.

Last edited:

1. What is a financial differential equation?

A financial differential equation is a mathematical model used to describe the relationship between different financial variables, such as interest rates, stock prices, and economic indicators. It takes into account the changes in these variables over time and helps to predict their future values.

2. How are financial differential equations used in the real world?

Financial differential equations are used in various industries, such as banking, insurance, and investment management, to analyze and make predictions about financial markets and economic trends. They are also used in risk management to assess the potential impact of different financial scenarios.

3. What are the key components of a financial differential equation?

The key components of a financial differential equation include the dependent variable (such as stock price or interest rate), the independent variable (usually time), and the differential equation itself, which represents the relationship between the variables.

4. How is a financial differential equation solved?

There are various methods for solving financial differential equations, including analytical and numerical methods. Analytical methods involve finding a closed-form solution, while numerical methods use algorithms to approximate the solution. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the equation and the desired level of accuracy.

5. What are the limitations of financial differential equations?

While financial differential equations are a powerful tool for analyzing and predicting financial data, they have some limitations. These include the assumption of continuous and smooth changes in variables, which may not always hold true in real-world situations. They also rely on accurate and up-to-date data, and any errors or inaccuracies in the data can affect the results of the equation.