1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Financial mathematics - estimating a yield curve

1. Jun 7, 2008 #1
    The problem is to estimate a zero-coupon yield curve for up to 5 years ahead, knowing (for time t=0) the following:
    bond 1: coupon 6.5, maturity - 1 year, price = 103
    bond 2: coupon 5, maturity - 2 years, price = 102
    bond 3: coupon 4.2, maturity - 3 years, price = 100
    bond 4: coupon 6.5, maturity - 4 years, price = 104
    bond 5: coupon 5.2, maturity - 5 years, price = 99
    price of a 1-week treasury bill of face value=100, is 99.94

I have digged through several papers on modelling yield curves and still am stuck. Given the relatively not-advanced-at-all mathematical prerequisites needed for the financial maths class i'm attending, i shyly presume that i should use a Nelson-Siegel-Svensson model here. Then - please correct me if I'm wrong - the task in fact is to solve an optimization problem of finding the parameters that generate theoretical prices for the given bonds and a bill that are the closest to their given market prices (using some MSE or RMSE estimator i guess).

How to implement that however is a mystery for me. Are such problems to be solved in some sophisticated maths software? Since the optimization problem here is non-linear i think it can't be 'treated' by Excel Solver (which i happen no to have anyway)?

I'd be thankful for any hint about this.

And by the way please excuse me for my lousy foreigner-vocabulary. ;)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?