1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Financial Mathematics

1. Nov 9, 2005 #1
    How do you find the annual effective rate of interest?
    The question reads: You lend a freind $15 000 to be amortized by semiannual payments for 8 years, with interest at j2 = 9%. You deposit each payment in an account paying J12 = 7%. What annual effective rate of interest have you earned over the entire 8-year period?
    Ans = 8.17%
    Hmmm... i have absolutly no idea how to get the annuale effective rate of interest.
    My TA showed, (in another question) that its something like (1 + i)^n = 1 + r
    and solve for r?
    Please help somebody
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

Conceptually, it works like this. There is initial outlay of $15,000. The payments that come in annually are immediately invested. At the end of 8 years there is a total value of all investments. The 'effective' interest rate is the equivalent rate at which the initial outlay would compound at to achieve the same final result after 8 years. It might help to draw out a time line and treat each pmt and ensuing investment as a separate problem. Find out how much each is worth after the 8 years is up, sum the totals together, and then it's a straightforward back solution for a std compound interest problem.

By the way, you have 2 identical posts. If this was intentional, pls avoid that in the future.

P.S. One of the most useful classes (in terms of constantly using the material learned) I took in graduate school was called "Engineering Economy".
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2005
  4. Nov 10, 2005 #3
    No, that was not intentional, i didn't know i did that :S... I will avoid that in the future!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?