Master in Financial Maths: Research, Schools & Employability

• Thread starter leon1127
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of Master in Financial Mathematics and the speaker's interest in pursuing it after graduation. They have researched different schools, with a particular interest in Stanford and University of Chicago. Their concerns include the employability of this degree in the current market and whether they should choose engineering mathematics or financial mathematics from an income perspective. They also mention their background and interests, including a desire to work overseas and a love for math. The conversation ends with a suggestion to check out forums at wilmott.com for more information.
leon1127
Financial Maths??

I am soon graduating and researching about different degrees in different school.
At this time, I am looking at Master in Financial Mathematics. I have found some schools that offer such degree. Degree's description from Stanford and U of Chicago are really interesting me. Now, my concerns are that
1) How is the employability Master in Financial Maths in recent market?
2) What are the good schools that offer such degree?
3) Should I choose engineering Maths or financial Maths from income aspect?
Here is the list of school that I know of offering such degree.
Name of School
NYU
TAMU
UT Austin
Chicago
Stanford
UI Chicago
BU

Brief Information about myself
Applied Maths and Statistic Major, expect to graduate in spring 2007. My major interest would me modeling and application of Maths. GRE and GRE subject test have not been taken. I wish to live in large city again. I am currently taking macroeconomic and microeconomic to extend my business aspect. I wish to work oversea within few years because I love to travel. Last, I just love to do math.
Any opinion is truly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check out the forums at wilmott.com. Lots of quants there.

nmtim said:
Check out the forums at wilmott.com. Lots of quants there.
thanks lots, this is what i need.

1. What is a Master's in Financial Maths?

A Master's in Financial Maths is a graduate degree program that combines mathematical and statistical techniques with finance and economics principles to analyze and solve complex financial problems.

2. What type of research is involved in this program?

This program typically involves research in areas such as financial modeling, risk management, derivatives pricing, and quantitative trading. Students may also have the opportunity to conduct research in collaboration with industry partners or work on real-world financial projects.

3. What are some top schools for a Master's in Financial Maths?

Some top schools for this program include Columbia University, New York University, University of Oxford, and London School of Economics. However, there are many other reputable universities that offer this degree program.

4. What career opportunities are available after completing this program?

Graduates with a Master's in Financial Maths often pursue careers in areas such as investment banking, risk management, financial consulting, and quantitative analysis. They may also work in industries such as banking, insurance, and hedge funds.

5. How does this program enhance employability?

A Master's in Financial Maths provides students with a strong foundation in both finance and mathematics, making them highly sought after by employers in the financial industry. The program also offers practical skills and hands-on experience through research and internships, making graduates more competitive in the job market.