1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find 2 lines in R3 which satisfy some conditions, and find the point on the lines whe

1. Jul 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find two lines in R3 in parametric form which satisfy the following conditions. Also, find the points on the lines which achieve the closest distance.

Conditions:
    1. They are not parallel to any of the coordinate planes
    2. They do not intersect and are not parallel
    3. They are a distance of 2 apart at the points which have parameter values t = 0 and u = 0
    4. The lines are NOT closest when the parameter values are t = 0 and u = 0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know how to find the shortest distance between two skew lines, but how do I find where that distance occurs in terms of points on the lines if all I have are parameters? I'm thinking that I need to use projections from the lines onto a plane then find the intersection of the projections, but when I try to do this I either get an unsolvable equation or infinite number of answers, since I'm dealing with parameters rather than exact coordinates.

This problem would be easier if the closest distance was 2 and occurred when t = 0 and u = 0, since I could start with two lines distance 2 apart parallel to the xz plane, then rotate them around the z axis 45 degrees using a rotation matrix. If the closest distance was 2 and occurred when t = 0 and u = 0, my lines could be (-t*sqrt(2)/2, -t*sqrt(2)/2, t) and (u*sqrt(2)/2 - sqrt(2), u*sqrt(2)/2 + sqrt(2), u) but unfortunately that is not the case here.

In terms of the distances, for 2 lines
    L1 = (a,b,c) + t[v1,v2,v3]
    L2 = (d,e,f) + u[w1,w2,w3]

distance between them must be 2:

2 = sqrt((a-d)^2 + (b-e)2 + (c-f)^2)
    so 4 = (a-d)^2 + (b-e)2 + (c-f)^2

2 sets of lines I tried:

(0,0,2) + t[3,1,-1]
    (0,0,0) + u[1,2,3]

for these the shortest distance seems to be 2/sqrt(6), which is indeed less than 2, but where does this distance occur? and

(0,0,3) + t[1,2,-1]
    (0,0,1) + u[1,-1,1]

while for these its 6/sqrt(14), but I still don't see how I can find where this distance occurs.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Find 2 lines in R3 which satisfy some conditions, and find the point on the lines

Calculate the distance squared (to avoid square roots) between those points as a function of t and u. Then use calculus to minimize d2. That should give you the values of t and u and you can use the points they give to check your ##\frac 6 {\sqrt{14}}##. ( I didn't check it so I'm not saying it is wrong, just that it gives a nice way to check it.)

4. Jul 11, 2012 #3
    Re: Find 2 lines in R3 which satisfy some conditions, and find the point on the lines

im sorry, but I don't understand. What do you mean "use calculus to minimize d2?
    you mean take derivative of d and set it to 0? Then in this case ut/√6 would just be 0, and that doesn't make sense. When I'm finding the shortest distance between two lines I'm taking the cross product of their direction vectors. If I try including u and t in that equation for say these lines:

(0,0,2) + t[3,1,-3]
    (0,0,0) + u[1,2,3]

you get 5uti - 10utj + 5utk

turn this into a unit vector and scale it down:

1/(ut√6) * (1*ut, -2*ut, 1*ut)

then multiplying by position vector

1/(ut√6) * (1*ut, -2*ut, 1*ut) dot (0,0,2) = d1
    1/(ut√6) * (1*ut, -2*ut, 1*ut) dot (0,0,0) = d2 (obviously this is 0)
    d1 - d2 = d
    d = 2/√6

:confused:

if you mean minimizing the original equation for distance, wouldn't that require solving differential equations? I think this problem is just supposed to use basic linear algebra

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  5. Jul 12, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The distance squared between those two lines is, calling it ##D##:$$
    D = (3t-u)^2+(t-2u)^2+(2-3t-3u)^2$$
    You can find the critical values for ##t## and ##u## by setting$$
    \frac{\partial D}{\partial u}=0,\ \frac {\partial D}{\partial t}=0$$
    You will get two simple equations in ##t## and ##u## which you can solve simultaneously.

[Edit] Added the next morning, it was getting late.

If you want a purely non-calculus method you could do this. Cross [3,1,-3] and [1,2,3] to get a vector N in the mutually perpendicular direction. You don't have to normalize it. Call R1(t) = (0,0,2) + t[3,1,-3] and R2(u) = (0,0,0) + u[1,2,3]. Now you need to find t and u making R1(t) - R2(u) parallel to N. So set ##R_1(t)-R_2(u) = \lambda N##. Write that out and you will have three equations in the unknowns ##t,\ u,\ \lambda##. Solve for ##t## and ##u## that way.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  6. Jul 12, 2012 #5

hm yeah I just tried the calculus way, it works great. I got t = .2666666 and u = .46666, then checked by plugging them back in and I get the 2/sqrt(6) so yeah it works.

thanks a lot!

I'll try the non calculus way right now.

k just tried vector way and got same answer, thx.

oh and btw I accidently wrote the vector wrong on my second post, for the 1st line its [3,1,-1] not [3,1,-3]

Hm yeah on my sheet I write the exact values, in my brain though sometimes I'm checking things I don't like fractions, fortunately my ti 89 calc gives me both exact vals and decimals for everything

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  7. Jul 12, 2012 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm curious why you use decimal approximations instead of the simple exact values of 4/15 and 7/15.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook