Finding Lines in R3 Satisfying Conditions

The problem as stated asks only for the closest points, not for the distance between them. The distance is 2/√6, but the closest points are not at t=0 and u=0. They are at t=4/15 and u=7/15.I guess I was just used to using decimals from all the past problems where the answers worked out to one, and I was too lazy to convert back to fractions. You have a good point though. I'm gonna try to do that in the future.Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!In summary, two lines in R3 in parametric form can be found to satisfy the given conditions by minimizing the distance squared between the
horses

Homework Statement

Find two lines in R3 in parametric form which satisfy the following conditions. Also, find the points on the lines which achieve the closest distance.

Conditions:
1. They are not parallel to any of the coordinate planes
2. They do not intersect and are not parallel
3. They are a distance of 2 apart at the points which have parameter values t = 0 and u = 0
4. The lines are NOT closest when the parameter values are t = 0 and u = 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to find the shortest distance between two skew lines, but how do I find where that distance occurs in terms of points on the lines if all I have are parameters? I'm thinking that I need to use projections from the lines onto a plane then find the intersection of the projections, but when I try to do this I either get an unsolvable equation or infinite number of answers, since I'm dealing with parameters rather than exact coordinates.

This problem would be easier if the closest distance was 2 and occurred when t = 0 and u = 0, since I could start with two lines distance 2 apart parallel to the xz plane, then rotate them around the z axis 45 degrees using a rotation matrix. If the closest distance was 2 and occurred when t = 0 and u = 0, my lines could be (-t*sqrt(2)/2, -t*sqrt(2)/2, t) and (u*sqrt(2)/2 - sqrt(2), u*sqrt(2)/2 + sqrt(2), u) but unfortunately that is not the case here.

In terms of the distances, for 2 lines
L1 = (a,b,c) + t[v1,v2,v3]
L2 = (d,e,f) + u[w1,w2,w3]

distance between them must be 2:

2 = sqrt((a-d)^2 + (b-e)2 + (c-f)^2)
so 4 = (a-d)^2 + (b-e)2 + (c-f)^2

2 sets of lines I tried:

(0,0,2) + t[3,1,-1]
(0,0,0) + u[1,2,3]

for these the shortest distance seems to be 2/sqrt(6), which is indeed less than 2, but where does this distance occur? and

(0,0,3) + t[1,2,-1]
(0,0,1) + u[1,-1,1]

while for these its 6/sqrt(14), but I still don't see how I can find where this distance occurs.

Physics news on Phys.org

horses said:

2 sets of lines I tried:

(0,0,2) + t[3,1,-1]
(0,0,0) + u[1,2,3]

for these the shortest distance seems to be 2/sqrt(6), which is indeed less than 2, but where does this distance occur? and

(0,0,3) + t[1,2,-1]
(0,0,1) + u[1,-1,1]

while for these its 6/sqrt(14), but I still don't see how I can find where this distance occurs.

Calculate the distance squared (to avoid square roots) between those points as a function of t and u. Then use calculus to minimize d2. That should give you the values of t and u and you can use the points they give to check your ##\frac 6 {\sqrt{14}}##. ( I didn't check it so I'm not saying it is wrong, just that it gives a nice way to check it.)

im sorry, but I don't understand. What do you mean "use calculus to minimize d2?
you mean take derivative of d and set it to 0? Then in this case ut/√6 would just be 0, and that doesn't make sense. When I'm finding the shortest distance between two lines I'm taking the cross product of their direction vectors. If I try including u and t in that equation for say these lines:

(0,0,2) + t[3,1,-3]
(0,0,0) + u[1,2,3]

you get 5uti - 10utj + 5utk

turn this into a unit vector and scale it down:

1/(ut√6) * (1*ut, -2*ut, 1*ut)

then multiplying by position vector

1/(ut√6) * (1*ut, -2*ut, 1*ut) dot (0,0,2) = d1
1/(ut√6) * (1*ut, -2*ut, 1*ut) dot (0,0,0) = d2 (obviously this is 0)
d1 - d2 = d
d = 2/√6

:confused:

if you mean minimizing the original equation for distance, wouldn't that require solving differential equations? I think this problem is just supposed to use basic linear algebra

Last edited:

horses said:
im sorry, but I don't understand. What do you mean "use calculus to minimize d2?
you mean take derivative of d and set it to 0? Then in this case ut/√6 would just be 0, and that doesn't make sense. When I'm finding the shortest distance between two lines I'm taking the cross product of their direction vectors. If I try including u and t in that equation for say these lines:

(0,0,2) + t[3,1,-3]
(0,0,0) + u[1,2,3]

The distance squared between those two lines is, calling it ##D##:$$
D = (3t-u)^2+(t-2u)^2+(2-3t-3u)^2$$
You can find the critical values for ##t## and ##u## by setting$$
\frac{\partial D}{\partial u}=0,\ \frac {\partial D}{\partial t}=0$$
You will get two simple equations in ##t## and ##u## which you can solve simultaneously.

[Edit] Added the next morning, it was getting late.

If you want a purely non-calculus method you could do this. Cross [3,1,-3] and [1,2,3] to get a vector N in the mutually perpendicular direction. You don't have to normalize it. Call R1(t) = (0,0,2) + t[3,1,-3] and R2(u) = (0,0,0) + u[1,2,3]. Now you need to find t and u making R1(t) - R2(u) parallel to N. So set ##R_1(t)-R_2(u) = \lambda N##. Write that out and you will have three equations in the unknowns ##t,\ u,\ \lambda##. Solve for ##t## and ##u## that way.

Last edited:

hm yeah I just tried the calculus way, it works great. I got t = .2666666 and u = .46666, then checked by plugging them back in and I get the 2/sqrt(6) so yeah it works.

thanks a lot!

I'll try the non calculus way right now.

k just tried vector way and got same answer, thx.

oh and btw I accidently wrote the vector wrong on my second post, for the 1st line its [3,1,-1] not [3,1,-3]

Hm yeah on my sheet I write the exact values, in my brain though sometimes I'm checking things I don't like fractions, fortunately my ti 89 calc gives me both exact vals and decimals for everything

Last edited:

horses said:
hm yeah I just tried the calculus way, it works great. I got t = .2666666 and u = .46666, then checked by plugging them back in and I get the 2/sqrt(6) so yeah it works.

I'm curious why you use decimal approximations instead of the simple exact values of 4/15 and 7/15.

1. What is the purpose of finding lines in R3 satisfying conditions?

The purpose of finding lines in R3 satisfying conditions is to study the behavior and relationships of objects in three-dimensional space. This can help scientists understand the physical properties and laws that govern our world.

2. How do you determine if a line in R3 satisfies certain conditions?

To determine if a line in R3 satisfies certain conditions, you can use mathematical equations and principles, such as vector equations and the cross product. These tools allow you to analyze the position, direction, and properties of a line in three-dimensional space.

3. What are some common conditions that a line in R3 might need to satisfy?

Some common conditions that a line in R3 might need to satisfy include passing through a specific point, having a certain slope or direction, being perpendicular or parallel to another line, or intersecting with a plane at a specific angle or distance.

4. Can lines in R3 satisfy multiple conditions simultaneously?

Yes, lines in R3 can satisfy multiple conditions simultaneously. However, this often requires more complex equations and calculations to determine the specific parameters that must be met for the line to satisfy all of the conditions.

5. How is finding lines in R3 satisfying conditions useful in scientific research?

Finding lines in R3 satisfying conditions can be useful in scientific research because it allows scientists to model and predict the behavior of objects in three-dimensional space. This can be applied to a wide range of fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics, to help solve problems and develop new technologies.