Finding the 3x3 Matrix X for XA=B: A Scientist's Perspective

• Thread starter hogrampage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3x3 Matrix
In summary, the solution for X such that AX=B involved finding individual columns, so does that mean XA=B will find the individual rows? No, XA=B will find the individual rows if it is given a matrix of the form A=I-1, where I is an inverse of X.
hogrampage
Homework Statement

Find the 3x3 matrix X such that XA=B, where

Code:
      1 1  1
A=   -1 0 -2
      1 0 -1

1 3  0
B=   -2 1 -2
      1 4 -1

The attempt at a solution

I understand how to do AX=B just fine, but XA=B is confusing me. I tried doing [x y z] A, but not sure if that's even right or what to do after that. Yes, I know it can be solved using inverses or whatever, but the professor does not want us to solve it that way (haven't gone over inverses yet).

The solution for X such that AX=B involved finding individual columns, so does that mean XA=B will find the individual rows?

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hogrampage said:
Homework Statement

Find the 3x3 matrix X such that XA=B, where

Code:
      1 1  1
A=   -1 0 -2
      1 0 -1

1 3  0
B=   -2 1 -2
      1 4 -1

The attempt at a solution

I understand how to do AX=B just fine, but XA=B is confusing me. I tried doing [x y z] A, but not sure if that's even right or what to do after that. Yes, I know it can be solved using inverses or whatever, but the professor does not want us to solve it that way (haven't learned gone over inverses yet).

The solution for X such that AX=B involved finding individual columns, so does that mean XA=B will find the individual rows?

Any help is appreciated!

Yes, find the individual rows of X. How would you do it?

ehild

If I multiply

\begin{array}{cccc}
1 & 1 & 1 \\
-1 & 0 & -2 \\
1 & 0 & -1 \\
\end{array}

by
\begin{array}{cccc}
x & y & z
\end{array}

I get

\begin{array}{cccc}
(x-y+z) & (x) & (x-2y-z) \\
\end{array}

That's where I get stuck. I don't know what to do with it. Would I transpose it to this?:\begin{array}{cccc}
(x-y+z) \\
(x) \\
(x-2y-z) \\
\end{array}

Transpose both sides.

Okay, I transposed both sides and I see how to get each column of X now. I think I get it :). Here's my augmented matrix:

\begin{array}{cccc}
1 & 0 & 0 | & 3 & 1 & 4 \\
0 & 1 & 3 | & 1 & 0 & 2 \\
0 & 0 & -4 | & 1 & 3 & 1 \\
\end{array}

The last row seems wrong because of the -4, but if I change it to a 1 using row operations, then the answer is wrong. The correct answer is:

\begin{array}{cccc}
3 & 1 & 1 \\
1 & 0 & 3 \\
4 & 2 & 1\\
\end{array}

Last edited:
Edit: another way to solve this is to multiply both sides by ##A^{-1}## from the right.

Sorry, it seems that I almost forgot one property of matrix inverse :)

Last edited:

1. What is a 3x3 matrix?

A 3x3 matrix is a rectangular array of numbers with 3 rows and 3 columns. It is used in linear algebra to represent equations and perform calculations.

2. How do you find the 3x3 matrix for XA=B?

To find the 3x3 matrix for XA=B, you first need to understand that A and B are also matrices. X is the unknown matrix that we are trying to find. To solve for X, we need to use matrix operations such as multiplication, addition, and subtraction.

3. What is the purpose of finding the 3x3 matrix for XA=B?

The purpose of finding the 3x3 matrix for XA=B is to solve for the unknown matrix X. This is useful in many scientific fields, such as physics and engineering, where systems of equations need to be solved to find unknown variables.

4. Can you explain the steps to find the 3x3 matrix for XA=B?

There are several steps to finding the 3x3 matrix for XA=B. First, you need to set up the equations using the given matrices A and B. Then, use matrix operations (multiplication, addition, and subtraction) to isolate the unknown matrix X. Finally, solve for the elements of X using algebraic techniques.

5. What are some applications of the 3x3 matrix for XA=B?

The 3x3 matrix for XA=B has many applications in various fields of science and engineering. It can be used to solve systems of linear equations, represent transformations in geometry, and perform calculations in quantum mechanics. It is also used in computer graphics to rotate, scale, and translate objects.