Finding a Non-Diagonalizable 3x3 Matrix with 2 as its Only Eigenvalue

In summary, the homework statement was to find a 3*3 matrix A which is not diagonalizable and such that 2 is the only eigenvalue of A. The Attempt at a Solution found that since λ=2,and it is a 3*3 matrix, there is no solution.
tengxiaona

Homework Statement

Find a 3*3 matrix A which is not diagonalizable and such that 2 is the only eigenvalue of A

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

since λ=2,and it is a 3*3 matrix

i get the det(λI-A)=(λ-2)^3=0

then λ^3-6λ^2+12λ-8=0

now i use http://image.cramster.com/answer-board/image/cramster-equation-2009452223286337456700835550002161.gifas[/URL] matirx A

and i calculate

det(λI-A)
=λ^3-λ^2(i+e+a)+λ(ai+ae+ie-cg-hf-bd)-(aef+bfg+cdh+cge-ahf-bdi)=0

now we can easy to know that

i+e+a=6

ai+ae+ie-cg-hf-bd=12

aef+bfg+cdh+cge-ahf-bdi=18

now I am stuck here

can anyone help me to slove these equtions.

i don't konw the way i doing this problem is right or wrong.

if u have any others ideas,please help me

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

There are infinitely many solutions to those equations: 9 variables and 3 equations. Also, solutions to them tell you nothing about whether or not the matrix can be diagonalised. You're going to have to think of a different method.

Do you know of any other forms a matrix can be put into if it is not diagonlisable?

Do you know of any matrices where it is easy to see what the eigenvalues are?

matt grime said:
There are infinitely many solutions to those equations: 9 variables and 3 equations. Also, solutions to them tell you nothing about whether or not the matrix can be diagonalised. You're going to have to think of a different method.

Do you know of any other forms a matrix can be put into if it is not diagonlisable?

Do you know of any matrices where it is easy to see what the eigenvalues are?

sorry, i don't have any ideas

could u just give me any hints?

Hint: think about upper triangular matrices.

Dick said:
Hint: think about upper triangular matrices.

but the matrix A is not diagonalizable

tengxiaona said:
but the matrix A is not diagonalizable

Do you really think all upper triangular matrices are diagonalizable?

Dick said:
Do you really think all upper triangular matrices are diagonalizable?

ok,i trid again and stuck again

i set A as

a b c
0 d e
0 0 f

use the way i did before above

finally i get

a+d+f=6
fd+af+ad=12
adf=18

then....=.=

i still can't slove these equtions

Dick , wut exactly do u mean by ues an upper matrix

By an upper triangular matrix I mean exactly what you posted. You should be able to tell me what the eigenvalues of that matrix are without working too hard. That tells you what values a, d and f should have. Now you just want to find an EXAMPLE of values of b, c and e that is NOT diagonalizable. Hint: it's not diagonalizable if you can't find three linearly independent eigenvectors. Just try guessing. Hint: b=c=e=0 is a bad guess.

Where did those 3 equations come from, and why? I think you need to work out the determinant of an upper triangular matrix again. You still haven't addressed what it means for a matrix to be (or not be) diagonalizable, either.

i got it now !

i really went to a wrong way!

thanks for DICK and MG you guys help!

1. How do you determine if a 3x3 matrix is non-diagonalizable?

To determine if a 3x3 matrix is non-diagonalizable, we must first find its eigenvalues. If the matrix has 2 as its only eigenvalue, it is possible that it may be non-diagonalizable. We then need to find the corresponding eigenvectors for this eigenvalue. If the matrix has only one linearly independent eigenvector for the eigenvalue 2, then it is non-diagonalizable.

2. What does it mean for a matrix to have 2 as its only eigenvalue?

Having 2 as the only eigenvalue of a matrix means that when we perform the eigenvalue calculation, the resulting characteristic polynomial has only one root, which is the value 2. This can also be interpreted as the matrix having only one distinct direction of transformation.

3. How do you find the eigenvectors for a matrix with 2 as its only eigenvalue?

To find the eigenvectors for a matrix with 2 as its only eigenvalue, we need to solve the equation (A-2I)v=0, where A is the matrix and I is the identity matrix. This will give us a system of linear equations, and the solutions to these equations will be the eigenvectors corresponding to the eigenvalue 2.

4. Why is it important to find non-diagonalizable matrices?

Non-diagonalizable matrices have special properties that make them useful in various fields of study, including physics and engineering. They can represent systems that have a unique direction of transformation, which can be helpful in analyzing and understanding complex systems. Additionally, non-diagonalizable matrices have applications in cryptography and data encryption.

5. Can a matrix have more than one eigenvalue if it is non-diagonalizable?

Yes, a matrix can have more than one eigenvalue and still be non-diagonalizable. This means that there are multiple distinct directions of transformation in the matrix, but they cannot be represented by a diagonal matrix. In this case, the matrix would have multiple linearly independent eigenvectors for each eigenvalue.