1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find a 3*3 matrix A which is not diagonalizable and such that 2 is the only eigenvalu

1. Apr 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find a 3*3 matrix A which is not diagonalizable and such that 2 is the only eigenvalue of A

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

since λ=2,and it is a 3*3 matrix

i get the det(λI-A)=(λ-2)^3=0

then λ^3-6λ^2+12λ-8=0

now i use http://image.cramster.com/answer-board/image/cramster-equation-2009452223286337456700835550002161.gifas[/URL] matirx A

and i calculate

det(λI-A)
    =λ^3-λ^2(i+e+a)+λ(ai+ae+ie-cg-hf-bd)-(aef+bfg+cdh+cge-ahf-bdi)=0

now we can easy to know that

i+e+a=6

ai+ae+ie-cg-hf-bd=12

aef+bfg+cdh+cge-ahf-bdi=18

now im stuck here

can anyone help me to slove these equtions.

i dont konw the way i doing this problem is right or wrong.

if u have any others ideas,plz help me

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2009 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: find a 3*3 matrix A which is not diagonalizable and such that 2 is the only eigen

There are infinitely many solutions to those equations: 9 variables and 3 equations. Also, solutions to them tell you nothing about whether or not the matrix can be diagonalised. You're going to have to think of a different method.

Do you know of any other forms a matrix can be put into if it is not diagonlisable?

Do you know of any matrices where it is easy to see what the eigenvalues are?

4. Apr 6, 2009 #3
    Re: find a 3*3 matrix A which is not diagonalizable and such that 2 is the only eigen

sorry, i dont have any ideas

could u just give me any hints?

5. Apr 6, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hint: think about upper triangular matrices.

6. Apr 6, 2009 #5

but the matrix A is not diagonalizable

7. Apr 6, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you really think all upper triangular matrices are diagonalizable?

8. Apr 6, 2009 #7

ok,i trid again and stuck again

i set A as

a b c
    0 d e
    0 0 f

use the way i did before above

finally i get

a+d+f=6
    fd+af+ad=12
    adf=18

then.................=.=

i still cant slove these equtions

Dick , wut exactly do u mean by ues an upper matrix

9. Apr 6, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

By an upper triangular matrix I mean exactly what you posted. You should be able to tell me what the eigenvalues of that matrix are without working too hard. That tells you what values a, d and f should have. Now you just want to find an EXAMPLE of values of b, c and e that is NOT diagonalizable. Hint: it's not diagonalizable if you can't find three linearly independent eigenvectors. Just try guessing. Hint: b=c=e=0 is a bad guess.

10. Apr 7, 2009 #9

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Where did those 3 equations come from, and why? I think you need to work out the determinant of an upper triangular matrix again. You still haven't addressed what it means for a matrix to be (or not be) diagonalizable, either.

11. Apr 8, 2009 #10

i got it now !!!

i really went to a wrong way!!

thanks for DICK and MG you guys help!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook