Solving a Polynomial with Real Coefficients and Real Zeroes

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the values of a, b, c, and d for a polynomial with real coefficients and zeroes, given the condition that the absolute value of the polynomial at the imaginary number i is 1. Various methods, such as using Sturm's theorem or sketching graphs, are suggested but ultimately ruled out due to the constraints of the course being discussed. The conversation ends with a suggestion to consider a simpler problem as a starting point for finding a solution.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Let f(x) = [itex]x^{4}+ax^{3}+bx^{2}+cx+d[/itex] be a polynomial with real coefficients and real zeroes. If |f(i)| = 1, (where [itex]i = \sqrt{-1}[/itex]) then find a+b+c+d.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

f(i) = 1-b+d+ci-ai
Taking modulus

|f(i)|= |1-b+d+i(c-a)|
[itex]=(1-b+d)^{2}+(c-a)^{2}=1[/itex]

Simplifying
[itex]a^{2}+b^{2}+c^{2}+d^{2}=2(b-d+bd+ac)[/itex]

But this takes me nowhere close to the answer. What else can I try?

Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:

[itex]=(1-b+d)^{2}+(c-a)^{2}=1[/itex]

This may or may not help... but the above equation looks very much like the equation for a unit circle centered around (1,0) where x=-b+d and y=c-a.

dcassell said:
This may or may not help... but the above equation looks very much like the equation for a unit circle centered around (1,0) where x=-b+d and y=c-a.

But this won't be of any help either.

hi utkarshakash! :smile:

have you tried calling the roots (the zeroes) p q r and s ?

Hmm... a little bit more background info might be helpful to suggesting an appropriate method of solving this for you. What course is this for? Are you allowed to use only algebraic methods (this thread is in the pre-calculus forum, so that is the assumption many posters might make), or can you use a little calculus as well?

The first idea that comes to mind for me is to try applying http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturm's_theorem]Sturm's[/PLAIN] theorem, to see under what restrictions on your coefficients, your polynomial will have all real roots (zeroes). But this method may or may not be appropriate to your course, and also may not work (I haven't tried it yet).

In any case, I would suggest the first thing you do is sketch out a few graphs of the possible forms your quartic can take if it is to have all real coefficients and roots (remember, the roots may not all be distinct, so you will need a few different graphs).

Last edited by a moderator:
gabbagabbahey said:
Hmm... a little bit more background info might be helpful to suggesting an appropriate method of solving this for you. What course is this for? Are you allowed to use only algebraic methods (this thread is in the pre-calculus forum, so that is the assumption many posters might make), or can you use a little calculus as well?

The first idea that comes to mind for me is to try applying http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturm's_theorem]Sturm's[/PLAIN] theorem, to see under what restrictions on your coefficients, your polynomial will have all real roots (zeroes). But this method may or may not be appropriate to your course, and also may not work (I haven't tried it yet).

In any case, I would suggest the first thing you do is sketch out a few graphs of the possible forms your quartic can take if it is to have all real coefficients and roots (remember, the roots may not all be distinct, so you will need a few different graphs).

Hey I'm not supposed to take help of these advanced theorems like Sturm's Theorem. It is a question from the chapter Complex Numbers. Also I'm enrolled in a high school course so I have to use only algebraic methods.

Last edited by a moderator:
tiny-tim said:
hi utkarshakash! :smile:

have you tried calling the roots (the zeroes) p q r and s ?

If I assume p,q,r,s to be the roots then I can find sum and products of the roots. What else?

(the sum and product are a and d)

you can get the formulas for b and c also :smile:

tiny-tim said:
(the sum and product are a and d)

you can get the formulas for b and c also :smile:
You are wrong. The sum and products are -a and d and I have already found out the formulas for b and c. But simply adding them won't do me any good.

Maybe consider a slightly more straightforward problem first: suppose you were given the polynomial [itex](x^2+\tilde{a}x+\tilde{b})(x^2+\tilde{c}x+\tilde{d})[/itex], where the coefficients [itex]\tilde{a}[/itex], [itex]\tilde{b}[/itex], [itex]\tilde{c}[/itex] & [itex]\tilde{d}[/itex] are all real. Under what conditions would the polynomial have all real roots (zeroes)?

What is a polynomial with real coefficients and real zeroes?

A polynomial with real coefficients and real zeroes is an algebraic expression that contains only real numbers as coefficients and can be factored into linear and quadratic terms with real solutions.

How do you solve a polynomial with real coefficients and real zeroes?

To solve a polynomial with real coefficients and real zeroes, you can use the quadratic formula or factor the polynomial into linear and quadratic terms and solve for the real solutions.

What are some strategies for finding the real zeroes of a polynomial?

Some strategies for finding the real zeroes of a polynomial include using the rational root theorem to identify potential rational zeroes, using synthetic division to test these potential zeroes, and graphing the polynomial to approximate the real zeroes.

What does it mean when a polynomial has complex zeroes?

When a polynomial has complex zeroes, it means that the solutions to the polynomial are complex numbers, which have both a real and imaginary component. This can happen when the discriminant of the polynomial is negative, indicating that there are no real solutions.

How can I check if my solution to a polynomial with real coefficients and real zeroes is correct?

You can check if your solution to a polynomial with real coefficients and real zeroes is correct by plugging the solution into the polynomial and seeing if it equals zero. You can also graph the polynomial and see if the solution(s) correspond to the x-intercepts of the graph.