Find a,b Parameters for Function to Get Extreme Value

• Thread starter Fatlum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parameters
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the parameters a and b such that the function f(x)=(sin2x)/(a-bcosx) has an extreme value at the point (pi/3,1/4). The participants suggest finding the derivative, setting it equal to zero, and using the given point to solve for a and b. The final conclusion is that a=5 and b=4.
Fatlum
Find a, b parameters such that the function such that the function $f(x)= (sin2x)/(a-bcosx)$ has extreme value in point (pi/3,1/4)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Fatlum! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

I understand that in this point the derivative should be 0. So I found the derivative ,equaled to zero and I replaced (pi/3=x) . But I'm not sure, should I equal the function with 1/4 to find the ordiante ?

using only sinx = π/3 will only give you the ratio a/b

you need to use y = 1/4 to find what they actually are :smile:

Thank you very much tiny-tim. I found now the paramters. a=5 and b=4.

1. What is the purpose of finding a,b parameters for a function to get extreme value?

The purpose of finding a,b parameters for a function to get extreme value is to optimize the function and determine the values of a and b that will result in the highest or lowest possible value for the function. This is useful in various fields of science and mathematics, such as optimization problems, data analysis, and curve fitting.

2. How do you find the a,b parameters for a function to get extreme value?

To find the a,b parameters for a function to get extreme value, you can use various methods such as calculus, algebraic manipulation, or numerical optimization techniques. The specific method used will depend on the type of function and the constraints of the problem.

3. What factors can affect the a,b parameters for a function to get extreme value?

There are several factors that can affect the a,b parameters for a function to get extreme value, including the type of function, the number of variables, and the constraints of the problem. Additionally, the initial values chosen for a and b can also have a significant impact on the final result.

4. Can the a,b parameters for a function to get extreme value change over time?

Yes, the a,b parameters for a function to get extreme value can change over time if the underlying conditions or constraints of the problem change. For example, in data analysis, the a,b parameters may need to be recalculated if new data is added or if the function is used for a different set of data.

5. Are there any limitations to using a,b parameters for a function to get extreme value?

Yes, there are limitations to using a,b parameters for a function to get extreme value. These limitations may include the assumptions made about the function and the data, the accuracy of the calculation method used, and the complexity of the problem. It is important to carefully consider these limitations and their potential impact on the results when using a,b parameters for extreme value analysis.