1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find a basis

1. Feb 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let W equal the set of all polynomials in F[x] with degree less than or equal to n-1 such that the sum of the coefficients of the terms is 0. Find a basis of W over F.

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know where to begin to find the basis. Do I use the fact that the sum of the coefficients is 0?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is not a vector space. Do you mean with degree less than or equal to n-1?

4. Feb 4, 2009 #3
    yes I just fixed it.

5. Feb 4, 2009 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You definitely need to use the fact that the sum of the coefficients is zero. Notice in particular that if f1,...,fm is a basis, then the sum of the coefficients in each fi must be zero also. Try writing down some simple polynomials that satisfy this

6. Feb 4, 2009 #5
    can you just use
    1-x^(n-1)?

The first coefficient is 1 and the (n-1)th coefficient is -1. But I don't think that is a basis.....I don't see how to find a basis for it and find coefficients at the same time. Can it be alternating positive and negative ones?

7. Feb 5, 2009 #6

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's actually a fairly good start.

Here's something that can help with problems like this: The dimension of the set of all polynomials of degree less than or equal to n-1 is n. Considering the canonical basis{1,x,x2,...,xn-1} you have a single linear equation in the coefficients of linear combinations. So intuitively, the dimension of the new subspace should be n-1. So try finding n-1 polynomials that look like the one in your post

8. Feb 5, 2009 #7
    check that

The vector space of set of the polynomials is isomorphic to the space X
    a0+a1+a2=...an-1=0

now find a basis for X

9. Feb 5, 2009 #8
    Can you explain this more? I don't understand the part where you say we have a "linear equation in the coefficients of linear combinations". Do you just mean that W is made up of linear equations?

And how did you get that the dimension of the new subspace is n-1? Is it because we're saying dimW=n so a subspace of W must be n-1? But why are we trying to find a *new* subspace when we just need a basis for W?

10. Feb 5, 2009 #9

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looking back, I definitely didn't phrase it very well.

Sorry to confuse you. I meant that the condition for the subspace is that your vector has to satisfy a single linear equation. In general, that decreases the dimension of your subspace by 1 for each equation as long as they are independent from each other. So we know we should be looking for a vector subspace of dimension n-1

11. Feb 5, 2009 #10
    By subspace do you mean basis? And why does it decrease the dimension by 1 for each equation?

12. Feb 5, 2009 #11
    Here is what I have so far.

If the sum of the coefficients (call each coefficient w_i) = 0 then we can have a vector of all the w_i's (n-1 dimension) and an n-1 dimension unit vector. Multiplying these two vectors together we get 0.

We have w_0= -(summation w_i from 1 to n-1)
    implies -(w_0)= summation w_i from 1 to n-1

We can write M= w_1 (-1,1,0,..0) + w_2 (-1,0,1,0...0) +.....+ w_n-1 (-1,0,...,1).

Then the basis for the whole space W (from the question) is made up of the vectors
    (-1,1,0,..0)
    (-1,0,1,0..0)
    (-1,0,...,1)

Is this right?

13. Feb 6, 2009 #12

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that's right. Generally in problems like this you can take whatever equations you have (here is is that [itex]w_1+ w_2+ ...+ w_{n-1}= 0[/itex]) and solve for as many of the numbers as you can in terms of the others. Then take each of those "others" 1 in turn.

Since here you have only one equation, you can solve for one of them, say [itex]w_1= -(w_2+ ...+ w_{n-1})[/itex]. Now let [itex]w_2= 1[/itex], [itex]w_2= ...= w_{n-1}= 0[/itex] and you get [itex]w_1= -1[/itex] so your first basis vector is (-1,1,0, ..., 0) as you say. Taking [itex]w_3= 1[/itex], [itex]w_2= w_4= ...= w_n= 0]/itex] you get [itex]w_1= -1[/itex] you get (-1, 0, 1, 0, ...,0), again as you have.

Because this is a set of polynomials, it would be better to write the "vectors" in that way: the basis is the set
    [tex]\{x-1, x^2- 1, x^3- 1, \cdot\cdot\cdot, x^{n-1}-1\}[/tex]

14. Feb 6, 2009 #13
    How do you get from the list of vectors to that basis you just got for polynomials?
    In other words, how do you get from (-1,1,0..0) to (x-1)?

Is it because x=1
    so x-1=0?
    what happened to the first term that equals -1?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?