1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find a bisecting angle

1. Feb 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If c = |a|b + |b|a, where a, b, and c are all nonzero vectors, show that c bisects the angle between a and b.

2. Relevant equations
    Angle between a & b is cos-1(a dot b)/(|a||b|)
    Angle between a & c is cos-1(a dot c)/(|a||c|)
    Angle AC is half of angle AB

3. The attempt at a solution
    Given c = |a|b + |b|a, I plug that into the equation for the angle between a and c. I eventually get (|a||b|)(|a|b + |b|a2 = (2|a||c|)(a dot b). Is this right? I would also like to confirm:

- if (a dot a) is always equal to |a|^2
    - how to differentiate absolute value and magnitude as they use the same symbol
    - When I got (2|a||c|)(a dot b), do I do regular multiplication or use the dot product?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This doesn't look right. If θ is the angle between a and c, you should have ##cos(θ) = \frac{a \dot c}{|a||c|}##. When you substitute in c and |c|, there should be some stuff in the denominator. I don't see that in what you have.
    Yes.
    Absolute values apply to real numbers. For a vector, |v| means the magnitude of the vector.
    Regular multiplication, if I'm understanding what you are asking. The two quantities in parentheses are real numbers.

4. Feb 1, 2015 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

A simpler approach than you're taking is to calculate the cosines of the two angles; i.e., the angle between a and c, and the angle between c and b. As expected, these turn out to be equal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted