1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Find a circle inside of and tangent to a larger circle

1. Oct 5, 2017 #21
    I don't think that is quite the proof I was looking for. I'm not sure if I was clear. The question I had was how do we know the line from ##\dot b## to ##\dot p## ends at the tangent point ##\dot g##, and not another point on the large circle. If it is shown they are the same point, then the similar triangles completes the radius derivation.

I don't disbelieve they are the same point. The drawings line up and it FITS. Every drawing (and the helpful MP4 graphic) LOOKS right. I just don't quite see why.

2. Oct 5, 2017 #22

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

@votingmachine Start with the diagram with ##\dot c,\dot p, \vec d## marked, and let ##\dot f,\dot g## be the centre and tangent point of the circle that is the solution. Now define ##\dot b## to be the point where the line from ##\dot g## through ##\dot p## crosses the circle again.

Then we can easily show that the triangles ##\dot g\dot b\dot c## and ##\dot g\dot p\dot f## are similar (since both are isosceles, and they share an angle), from which it follows that ##\dot b\dot c## is parallel to ##\dot p\dot f##, which is parallel to ##\vec d##.

So, to find this solution, all we need do is

1. find the point ##\dot b## where the line through ##\dot c## parallel to ##\vec d## but in reverse direction cuts the circle
    2. find the point ##\dot g## where the line from ##\dot b## through \dot p## cuts the circle again. That is the tangent point
    3. find the point ##\dot f## where the radius from ##\dot g## to ##\dot c## cuts the ray in direction ##\vec d## from ##\dot p##. That is the centre of the smaller circle.
    which is the approach Ventrella described - albeit in slightly different words..

3. Oct 5, 2017 #23
    Got it. That method explicitly draws triangles, and they are similar. Thanks.

4. Oct 6, 2017 #24

Baluncore

Science Advisor

B–K1 is a diameter of the big circle. Thales' theorem gives the angle at G between B and K1 as 90°.
    P–K2 is a diameter of the small circle. Thales' theorem gives the angle at G between P and K2 as 90°.
    Since the diameters B–K1 and P–K2 are parallel, and the angles at G are the same, the point K2 must lie on the small circle and they must be similar triangles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted