Finding Your Mistake: Solving a Limit Problem

In summary, the conversation is about finding a value for ##\delta## such that ##|f(x)-L|<\epsilon## for all x satisfying ##0<|x-a|<\delta##. The equation given is ##f(x)=x^4## and ##l=a^4##. The first attempt at the solution involves factoring the right side of the equation and choosing a value for ##\delta## based on that. The second attempt involves looking at the right side as ##(x-a)(x+a)(x^2+a^2)## and using triangle inequality to simplify the expression. The second method results in a different answer than the first, but is consistent with the solution given in the book
Aliax3012
I've pondered at this problem for a long time, and I don't know where I make a mistake, can anyone give me a hint?

1. Homework Statement

find a ##\delta## such that ##|f(x)-L|<\epsilon## for all x satisfying ##0<|x-a|<\delta##

Homework Equations

[/B]
##f(x)=x^4##; ##l=a^4##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
writing as the definition of limits

if ##|x-a|<\delta ##, then ##|x^4-a^4|<\epsilon##

factor the right side of equation I got

##|(x^2-a^2)(x^2+a^2)|<\epsilon##, then I can have ##|x^2-a^2|<\delta_1##

chose ##\delta_1=min(1)##, and I got ##|x^2|-|a^2|\le|x^2-a^2|<1##, adding |a^2| to both side of the inequality I got ##|x^2|<1+|a^2|##, therefore ##|x^2|+|a^2|<1+2|a^2|## , and ##|x^2+a^2|\le|x^2|+|a^2|<2|a^2|+1##

So I choose ##\delta_1=min (1, \frac{\epsilon}{2|a^2|+1})##

Therefore I have, if ##|x-a|<\delta## , then ##|x^2-a^2|<min (1, \frac{\epsilon}{2|a^2|+1})##

from my previous experience with ##\lim_{x \to a} x^2## , I know that I can pick ##\delta=min(1, \frac{\epsilon}{2|a|+1})##, under these conditions

if ##|x^2-a^2|<\epsilon##, then ##|x-a|<\delta##

so if I let ##min(1, \frac{\epsilon}{2|a^2|+1})## play the role of ##\epsilon##,

and I got ##\delta=min(1, \frac{min(1,\frac{\epsilon}{2|a^2|+1})}{2|a|+1})##

when I check the solution, it seems like I got the right idea but the solution assume ##\delta=min(1, \frac{min(1, \frac{\epsilon}{2(|a^2|+1)})}{2(|a|+1)})##

for some reason, I suppose I miss out a factor of two somewhere, but I check it again and again and could not find where I make a mistake, can somebody give me a clue?

Physics news on Phys.org
Aliax3012 said:
I've pondered at this problem for a long time, and I don't know where I make a mistake, can anyone give me a hint?

1. Homework Statement

find a ##\delta## such that ##|f(x)-L|<\epsilon## for all x satisfying ##0<|x-a|<\delta##

Homework Equations

[/B]
##f(x)=x^4##; ##l=a^4##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
writing as the definition of limits

if ##|x-a|<\delta ##, then ##|x^4-a^4|<\epsilon##

factor the right side of equation I got

##|(x^2-a^2)(x^2+a^2)|<\epsilon##, then I can have ##|x^2-a^2|<\delta_1##

chose ##\delta_1=min(1)##, and I got ##|x^2|-|a^2|\le|x^2-a^2|<1##, adding |a^2| to both side of the inequality I got ##|x^2|<1+|a^2|##, therefore ##|x^2|+|a^2|<1+2|a^2|## , and ##|x^2+a^2|\le|x^2|+|a^2|<2|a^2|+1##

So I choose ##\delta_1=min (1, \frac{\epsilon}{2|a^2|+1})##

Therefore I have, if ##|x-a|<\delta## , then ##|x^2-a^2|<min (1, \frac{\epsilon}{2|a^2|+1})##

from my previous experience with ##\lim_{x \to a} x^2## , I know that I can pick ##\delta=min(1, \frac{\epsilon}{2|a|+1})##, under these conditions

if ##|x^2-a^2|<\epsilon##, then ##|x-a|<\delta##

so if I let ##min(1, \frac{\epsilon}{2|a^2|+1})## play the role of ##\epsilon##,

and I got ##\delta=min(1, \frac{min(1,\frac{\epsilon}{2|a^2|+1})}{2|a|+1})##

when I check the solution, it seems like I got the right idea but the solution assume ##\delta=min(1, \frac{min(1, \frac{\epsilon}{2(|a^2|+1)})}{2(|a|+1)})##

for some reason, I suppose I miss out a factor of two somewhere, but I check it again and again and could not find where I make a mistake, can somebody give me a clue?
Instead of factoring ##x^4 - a^4 = (x^2 - a^2)(x^2 + a^4)##, look at the right side of this equation as ##(x - a)(x + a)(x^2 + a^2) = (x - a)(x^3 + ax^2 + a^2x + a^3)##

Mark44 said:
Instead of factoring ##x^4 - a^4 = (x^2 - a^2)(x^2 + a^4)##, look at the right side of this equation as ##(x - a)(x + a)(x^2 + a^2) = (x - a)(x^3 + ax^2 + a^2x + a^3)##

Thank you for your reply Mark

Following your advice I got this,

Second Attempt at the Solution,

writing givens as the definition of limits

if ##|x-a|<\delta## then ##|x^4-a^4|<\epsilon##

factoring out the right side of the condition

##|(x-1)(x^3+a^2x+ax^2+a^3)|<\epsilon##

choose ##\delta=min(1)## then I got, ##|x-a|<1##, using triangle inequality I got ##|x|-|a|\le|x-a|<1##, set ##|x|-|a|<1##, and I got ##|x|<1+|a|##

rewrite the expression ##|(x^3+a^2x+ax^2+a^3)|\le|x^3|+|a^2|\times|x|+|a|\times|x^2|+|a^3|##

Now, I sub ##|x|## in, and the final result is ##|(1+|a|)|^3+|a^2|\times|(1+|a|)|+|a|\times|(1+|a|)|^2+|a^3||##

now, I just choose that ##\delta=min(1, \frac{\epsilon}{|(1+|a|)|^3+|a^2|\times|(1+|a|)|+|a|\times|(1+|a|)|^2+|a^3|})##

When I check the result, it matched up with the solution the book has given out in this second method, I'm just curious on why I got a different answer in first method that I choose to find ##\delta##, it seems that I got the right methodology in the first one but just different answer and I don't know where I make my mistake, I don't know where the book got ##2(|a|+1)## and ##2(|a^2|+1)## instead of ##2|a|+1## and ##2|a^2|+1##, I check again and again to see where I miss the 1 but I just can't find it, Thank you for your time Mark

1. What is a limit problem?

A limit problem is a mathematical concept that involves determining the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a certain value. In other words, it is the value that a function "gets closer and closer" to as the input gets closer and closer to a specific value.

2. Why is finding mistakes in limit problems important?

Finding mistakes in limit problems is important because it ensures the accuracy of the solution and prevents errors that can lead to incorrect conclusions. It also helps to improve problem-solving skills and strengthens understanding of the principles behind limit problems.

3. What are some common mistakes in solving limit problems?

Common mistakes in solving limit problems include forgetting to consider the left and right-hand limits, using incorrect algebraic manipulations, and forgetting to check for removable discontinuities. Other mistakes can include misinterpreting the question, using the wrong formula or theorem, and making calculation errors.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving limit problems?

One way to improve skills in solving limit problems is through practice. Working on a variety of problems and seeking feedback can help to identify and correct mistakes. It is also helpful to review the concepts and formulas related to limit problems and to approach each problem systematically and carefully.

5. Are there any tips for finding mistakes in limit problems?

One tip for finding mistakes in limit problems is to double-check all calculations, including algebraic manipulations and substitutions. It can also be helpful to work through the problem using different methods or approaches to check for consistency. Additionally, it is important to carefully read and understand the question, and to check for any assumptions or restrictions that may affect the solution.