1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find a δ δ such that | f ( x ) − L | < ϵ |f(x)−L|<ϵ for all x satisfying 0 < | x − a | < δ 0<|x−a

1. Aug 18, 2016 #1
    I've pondered at this problem for a long time, and I don't know where I make a mistake, can anyone give me a hint?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

find a ##\delta## such that ##|f(x)-L|<\epsilon## for all x satisfying ##0<|x-a|<\delta##

2. Relevant equations

##f(x)=x^4##; ##l=a^4##

3. The attempt at a solution

writing as the definition of limits

if ##|x-a|<\delta ##, then ##|x^4-a^4|<\epsilon##

factor the right side of equation I got

##|(x^2-a^2)(x^2+a^2)|<\epsilon##, then I can have ##|x^2-a^2|<\delta_1##

chose ##\delta_1=min(1)##, and I got ##|x^2|-|a^2|\le|x^2-a^2|<1##, adding |a^2| to both side of the inequality I got ##|x^2|<1+|a^2|##, therefore ##|x^2|+|a^2|<1+2|a^2|## , and ##|x^2+a^2|\le|x^2|+|a^2|<2|a^2|+1##

So I choose ##\delta_1=min (1, \frac{\epsilon}{2|a^2|+1})##

Therefore I have, if ##|x-a|<\delta## , then ##|x^2-a^2|<min (1, \frac{\epsilon}{2|a^2|+1})##

from my previous experience with ##\lim_{x \to a} x^2## , I know that I can pick ##\delta=min(1, \frac{\epsilon}{2|a|+1})##, under these conditions

if ##|x^2-a^2|<\epsilon##, then ##|x-a|<\delta##

so if I let ##min(1, \frac{\epsilon}{2|a^2|+1})## play the role of ##\epsilon##,

and I got ##\delta=min(1, \frac{min(1,\frac{\epsilon}{2|a^2|+1})}{2|a|+1})##

when I check the solution, it seems like I got the right idea but the solution assume ##\delta=min(1, \frac{min(1, \frac{\epsilon}{2(|a^2|+1)})}{2(|a|+1)})##

for some reason, I suppose I miss out a factor of two somewhere, but I check it again and again and could not find where I make a mistake, can somebody give me a clue?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Instead of factoring ##x^4 - a^4 = (x^2 - a^2)(x^2 + a^4)##, look at the right side of this equation as ##(x - a)(x + a)(x^2 + a^2) = (x - a)(x^3 + ax^2 + a^2x + a^3)##

4. Aug 18, 2016 #3
    Thank you for your reply Mark

Following your advice I got this,

Second Attempt at the Solution,

writing givens as the definition of limits

if ##|x-a|<\delta## then ##|x^4-a^4|<\epsilon##

factoring out the right side of the condition

##|(x-1)(x^3+a^2x+ax^2+a^3)|<\epsilon##

choose ##\delta=min(1)## then I got, ##|x-a|<1##, using triangle inequality I got ##|x|-|a|\le|x-a|<1##, set ##|x|-|a|<1##, and I got ##|x|<1+|a|##

rewrite the expression ##|(x^3+a^2x+ax^2+a^3)|\le|x^3|+|a^2|\times|x|+|a|\times|x^2|+|a^3|##

Now, I sub ##|x|## in, and the final result is ##|(1+|a|)|^3+|a^2|\times|(1+|a|)|+|a|\times|(1+|a|)|^2+|a^3||##

now, I just choose that ##\delta=min(1, \frac{\epsilon}{|(1+|a|)|^3+|a^2|\times|(1+|a|)|+|a|\times|(1+|a|)|^2+|a^3|})##

When I check the result, it matched up with the solution the book has given out in this second method, I'm just curious on why I got a different answer in first method that I choose to find ##\delta##, it seems that I got the right methodology in the first one but just different answer and I don't know where I make my mistake, I don't know where the book got ##2(|a|+1)## and ##2(|a^2|+1)## instead of ##2|a|+1## and ##2|a^2|+1##, I check again and again to see where I miss the 1 but I just can't find it, Thank you for your time Mark

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted