Discovering a General Formula for the Function: Hints and Tips

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a general formula for the function 1/(2n)!\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}x^{2n}*e^{-ax^2}. The participants discuss different approaches, such as integration by parts and splitting the product in another way. They also mention the importance of recognizing the difference between a problem and a solution in order to find a solution.
greisen
Hi,

I have to find a general formula for the function

1/(2n)![tex]\int_{-\inf}^{\inf}x^{2n}*e^{-ax^2} [/tex]I am a little bit lost in how to proceed - any hints appreciated thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
greisen said:
1/(2n)![tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}x^{2n}*e^{-ax^2} [/tex]​

Hi greisen! :smile:

(btw, it's "\infty")

I assume you've tried integrating by parts, and found that if you start with the x^2n, it just gets worse, and you can't start with the e^{-ax^2}, because it doesn't have a nice anti-derivative?

Hint: can you split the product in some other way, so that you can get an anti-derivative involving the e^{-ax^2}? :smile:

Thanks

yes I have tried integration by parts but that got very messy.

I don't quite understand how to rewrite the equation involving the anti-derivative?

well, i would say sth like this would put u on the right track

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}x^{2n}*e^{-ax^2} = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}x^{2n-1}xe^{-ax^2}dx [/tex] then performing integration by parts by letting

[tex]u=x^{2n-1},v=\int xe^{-ax^2}dx[/tex]

I think this would work. By performing integ by parts a couple of times, i think you will be able to notice some pattern, then use induction to prove the general case.

P.S. This is basically what tiny-tim's Hint says...i hope at least...lol...

problem … solution … it's just a state of mind!

Yutup, sutupidmath is right, of course. :smile:

The trick is to recognise the difference between a problem and a solution.

In this case, the problem is that you look at ∫e^-ax^2
and think
"I can't integrate that … if only it had an extra 2ax in front of it!"
and change that round to
"I can integrate that if i put an extra 2ax in front of it!"

Problem … solution … it's just a state of mind! :smile:

1. What is a general formula?

A general formula is a mathematical expression that represents a general rule or pattern for a set of numbers or variables. It can be used to find any term or value in a sequence or function.

2. How do you find a general formula?

To find a general formula, first identify the pattern or relationship between the given numbers or variables. Then, use algebraic techniques to express the pattern in a general form, using variables to represent unknown terms.

3. Why is finding a general formula important?

Finding a general formula allows us to make predictions and find specific terms or values in a sequence or function without having to calculate them individually. It also helps us understand the underlying pattern or rule behind a set of numbers or variables.

4. What is the difference between a general formula and a specific formula?

A general formula is a mathematical expression that represents a general rule or pattern for a set of numbers or variables, whereas a specific formula is used to find a particular term or value in a sequence or function. A specific formula is often derived from a general formula by substituting specific values for the variables.

5. Can a general formula be used for any sequence or function?

No, a general formula can only be used for sequences or functions that follow a specific pattern or rule. It may not be applicable to all types of sequences or functions, especially those that do not have a consistent pattern.