What familiar group is isomorphic to the group of units in ℤ[i]?

• Thread starter catherinenanc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, the group of units of ℤ[i] is isomorphic to the group ℤ₄ under multiplication, with the isomorphism defined as ϕ:(ℤ₄,+)→(U,*) such that ϕ(z)=(0+1i)^{z}. This is a one-to-one and onto homomorphism with order 4. The elements of the group are a+bi such that a,b∈ℤ and N(a+bi)=1, with four possible elements: 1, -1, i, and -i.
catherinenanc
find a group isomorphic to ℤ

1. Knowing the below proof, The group of units of ℤ is isomorphic to a familiar group. Which one?

2. We have already shown: "Let R be a ring with unity, and let U denote the set of units in R. Show that U is a group under the multiplication in R."
Also, ℤ has been defined as the set of all complex numbers of the form a+bi, where a,b∈ℤ.

3. Does it have something to do do with the homomorphism Norm(a+bi)=a^2+b^2? I don't think so, because Norm is not an isomorphism, right?

Physics news on Phys.org

Well, what are the group elements? How many are there? You can certainly use your Norm to say something about that. Can you find a generator?

The things we have already proven are:
1) (Problem #16.23, as referred to later) Let R be a ring with unity, and let U denote the set of units in R. Show that U is a group under the multiplication in R.
2) Let ℤ denote the set of all complex numbers of the form a+bi, where a,b∈ℤ. Show that ℤ is a commutative ring with unity under ordinary addition and multiplication of complex numbers. ℤ is called the ring of Gaussian integers.
3) For r=a+bi∈ℤ, define the norm N(r) of r by N(r)=a²+b². Show that if r,s∈ℤ, then N(rs)=N(r)N(s).
4) Show that r=a+bi is a unit in ℤ iff N(r)=1. Using this information, find all the units in ℤ.
***5) (See Exercise 16.23.) The group of units of ℤ is isomorphic to a familiar group. Which one?

#5 is the only one I have left that I have not proven, and I am assuming that #1-4 are supposed to lead me to a conclusion in #5. So, the answer to your questions are: The group elements are all a+bi such that a,b∈ℤ and N(a+bi)=1 (which is what tells you a+bi is a unit). It seems to me like there are only two elements then, 0+1i and 1+0i. Is that right? I do not have any idea what a generator might be.

catherinenanc said:
The things we have already proven are:
1) (Problem #16.23, as referred to later) Let R be a ring with unity, and let U denote the set of units in R. Show that U is a group under the multiplication in R.
2) Let ℤ denote the set of all complex numbers of the form a+bi, where a,b∈ℤ. Show that ℤ is a commutative ring with unity under ordinary addition and multiplication of complex numbers. ℤ is called the ring of Gaussian integers.
3) For r=a+bi∈ℤ, define the norm N(r) of r by N(r)=a²+b². Show that if r,s∈ℤ, then N(rs)=N(r)N(s).
4) Show that r=a+bi is a unit in ℤ iff N(r)=1. Using this information, find all the units in ℤ.
***5) (See Exercise 16.23.) The group of units of ℤ is isomorphic to a familiar group. Which one?

#5 is the only one I have left that I have not proven, and I am assuming that #1-4 are supposed to lead me to a conclusion in #5. So, the answer to your questions are: The group elements are all a+bi such that a,b∈ℤ and N(a+bi)=1 (which is what tells you a+bi is a unit). It seems to me like there are only two elements then, 0+1i and 1+0i. Is that right? I do not have any idea what a generator might be.

Well, no. There are four elements in Z that have Norm equal to 1. 1, -1, i, and -i.

Good point. So can I create an isomorphism?? that is defined not with a function, but a table like the following:
1 --> (1,0)
-1 --> (0,0)
-i --> (0,0)
i --> (0,1)

Then I get f:U->ℤ2xℤ2.
They both have order 4, and it's one-to-one and onto...

catherinenanc said:
Good point. So can I create an isomorphism?? that is defined not with a function, but a table like the following:
1 --> (1,0)
-1 --> (0,0)
-i --> (0,0)
i --> (0,1)

Then I get f:U->ℤ2xℤ2.
They both have order 4, and it's one-to-one and onto...

It's one-to-on and onto but it's NOT a homomorphism. f(i)f(-i) should be f(1) and it's not. Start writing down powers of i.

duh..powers! That makes sense. What about ϕ:(ℤ₄,+)→(U,*) such that ϕ(z)=(0+1i)^{z} which is one-to-one and onto, and is a homomorphism, right?Thanks... I feel like it should have been obvious. :cool:)))

catherinenanc said:
duh..powers! That makes sense. What about ϕ:(ℤ₄,+)→(U,*) such that ϕ(z)=(0+1i)^{z} which is one-to-one and onto, and is a homomorphism, right?Thanks... I feel like it should have been obvious. :cool:)))

Sure. When you are trying to figure out what the structure of a group is it's always a good idea to look for generators.

good point. I will remember that. Thanks!

What does it mean to find a group isomorphic to ℤ?

Finding a group isomorphic to ℤ means finding a group that has the same structure as the group of integers. This means that the two groups have the same number of elements and the same operations, and that these operations behave in the same way.

Why is it important to find a group isomorphic to ℤ?

Finding a group isomorphic to ℤ can help in understanding the properties and behaviors of the group of integers, which is a fundamental concept in mathematics. It also allows for easier comparison and generalization of results from one group to another.

What are some examples of groups that are isomorphic to ℤ?

Some examples of groups that are isomorphic to ℤ include the additive group of rational numbers (ℚ), the additive group of real numbers (ℝ), and the multiplicative group of positive rational numbers (ℚ*). These groups have the same underlying structure as the group of integers, but may have different operations.

How do you prove that a group is isomorphic to ℤ?

To prove that a group is isomorphic to ℤ, you need to show that the two groups have the same number of elements and that there exists a bijective function between the two groups that preserves the group structure. This means that the function must map the group operations in one group to the corresponding operations in the other group.

Can a group have more than one isomorphism to ℤ?

Yes, a group can have multiple isomorphisms to ℤ. This is because there may be different ways to map the operations of one group to the operations of ℤ while preserving the group structure. However, the number of isomorphisms between two groups is always finite.