1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find a group isomorphic to ℤ

1. Mar 4, 2012 #1
    find a group isomorphic to ℤ

1. Knowing the below proof, The group of units of ℤ is isomorphic to a familiar group. Which one?

2. We have already shown: "Let R be a ring with unity, and let U denote the set of units in R. Show that U is a group under the multiplication in R."
    Also, ℤ has been defined as the set of all complex numbers of the form a+bi, where a,b∈ℤ.

3. Does it have something to do do with the homomorphism Norm(a+bi)=a^2+b^2? I don't think so, because Norm is not an isomorphism, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: find a group isomorphic to ℤ

Well, what are the group elements? How many are there? You can certainly use your Norm to say something about that. Can you find a generator?

4. Mar 4, 2012 #3

The things we have already proven are:
    1) (Problem #16.23, as referred to later) Let R be a ring with unity, and let U denote the set of units in R. Show that U is a group under the multiplication in R.
    2) Let ℤ denote the set of all complex numbers of the form a+bi, where a,b∈ℤ. Show that ℤ is a commutative ring with unity under ordinary addition and multiplication of complex numbers. ℤ is called the ring of Gaussian integers.
    3) For r=a+bi∈ℤ, define the norm N(r) of r by N(r)=a²+b². Show that if r,s∈ℤ, then N(rs)=N(r)N(s).
    4) Show that r=a+bi is a unit in ℤ iff N(r)=1. Using this information, find all the units in ℤ.
    ***5) (See Exercise 16.23.) The group of units of ℤ is isomorphic to a familiar group. Which one?

#5 is the only one I have left that I have not proven, and I am assuming that #1-4 are supposed to lead me to a conclusion in #5. So, the answer to your questions are: The group elements are all a+bi such that a,b∈ℤ and N(a+bi)=1 (which is what tells you a+bi is a unit). It seems to me like there are only two elements then, 0+1i and 1+0i. Is that right? I do not have any idea what a generator might be.

5. Mar 4, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, no. There are four elements in Z that have Norm equal to 1. 1, -1, i, and -i.

6. Mar 5, 2012 #5

Good point. So can I create an isomorphism?? that is defined not with a function, but a table like the following:
    1 --> (1,0)
    -1 --> (0,0)
    -i --> (0,0)
    i --> (0,1)

Then I get f:U->ℤ2xℤ2.
    They both have order 4, and it's one-to-one and onto...

7. Mar 5, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's one-to-on and onto but it's NOT a homomorphism. f(i)f(-i) should be f(1) and it's not. Start writing down powers of i.

8. Mar 5, 2012 #7

duh..powers! That makes sense. What about ϕ:(ℤ₄,+)→(U,*) such that ϕ(z)=(0+1i)^{z} which is one-to-one and onto, and is a homomorphism, right?

Thanks... I feel like it should have been obvious. :cool:)))

9. Mar 5, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. When you are trying to figure out what the structure of a group is it's always a good idea to look for generators.

10. Mar 5, 2012 #9

good point. I will remember that. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook