Find a locus of points that define a relationship

In summary, a locus of points is a set of points that satisfy a certain condition or relationship. To find a locus of points, one must identify the relationship and use mathematical equations or geometric constructions. Examples of a locus of points include circles, perpendicular bisectors, and parallel lines. It is important in science as it helps understand and predict relationships. Tools and techniques such as algebraic equations, geometric constructions, and graphing software can be used to find a locus of points.
warfreak131

Homework Statement

There is a collapsing gas cloud. You have a line of sight along z (the length of the triangle is x, the height is y), and you are measuring the line of sight velocity. There are pairs of points where the measured velocity is equal, even at different radii, due to the relationship between collapse velocity and radius.

The way my teacher described it was that at a greater radius from the center of the cloud, you have a larger x component, and therefore, will measure a certain velocity. But when you have a smaller radius, the speed of collapse is much greater, but the x component is much smaller, balancing the two scenarios out.

The question is

For the case that v(r) = v0 r^−1 , find equations for (r, θ), or
(x, y) where r = sqrt(x^2 + y^2) and θ = tan^−1 (x/y), of the locus of
points for which vr = 2v0 /Ri = constant.
Here, Ri is the outer
radius of the collapsing region.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I equated the two velocities, v0 r^-1 = 2 v0/Ri, and I am left with r=Ri/2, but I don't know where that leaves me. I was also thinking of describing an ellipse with a minor axis of x/2, and a major axis of R, but I don't know how to incorporate the constant velocity, or my radius relationship.

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    9 KB · Views: 290
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your question and attempting a solution. I am a scientist and I would be happy to help you with this problem.

Based on the information provided, it seems like you are on the right track with your approach. You have correctly equated the two velocities and solved for the radius, r = Ri/2. This means that at any point along this locus of points, the velocity vr will be constant at 2 v0/Ri. Now, we can use this information to find the equations for (r, θ) or (x, y).

Since we know that r = sqrt(x^2 + y^2), we can substitute r = Ri/2 into this equation to get:

Ri/2 = sqrt(x^2 + y^2)

Squaring both sides, we get:

Ri^2/4 = x^2 + y^2

This is the equation of a circle with radius Ri/2. We can also rewrite this equation in terms of θ by using the relation tan^-1 (x/y) = θ. This gives us:

tan^-1 (x/y) = tan^-1 (Ri/2y)

Solving for y, we get:

y = Ri/2 tan (θ)

This means that at any point along the locus of points, the value of y will be determined by the angle θ. Similarly, we can find the equation for x by using the relation r = sqrt(x^2 + y^2). This gives us:

x = sqrt(Ri^2/4 - y^2)

Substituting y = Ri/2 tan (θ), we get:

x = sqrt(Ri^2/4 - (Ri/2 tan (θ))^2)

Simplifying this equation, we get:

x = Ri/2 cos (θ)

This means that at any point along the locus of points, the value of x will also be determined by the angle θ.

In summary, the equations for (r, θ) or (x, y) for the locus of points where vr = 2v0/Ri = constant are:

r = Ri/2

θ = tan^-1 (Ri/2y)

x = Ri/2 cos (θ)

y = Ri/2 tan (θ)

I hope this helps to answer your question. Let me know if you have

1. What is a locus of points?

A locus of points is a set of points that satisfy a certain condition or relationship. In other words, it is the collection of all points that meet a specific requirement or constraint.

2. How do you find a locus of points?

To find a locus of points, you need to first identify the relationship or condition that the points must satisfy. Then, using mathematical equations or geometric constructions, you can determine the coordinates of the points that meet this condition.

3. What are some common examples of a locus of points?

Some common examples of a locus of points include the set of all points that are equidistant from a given point (circle), the set of all points that are equidistant from two given points (perpendicular bisector), and the set of all points that are a certain distance from a given line (parallel lines).

4. Why is finding a locus of points important in science?

Finding a locus of points is important in science because it allows us to understand and describe relationships between variables or physical phenomena. It also helps us make predictions and draw conclusions based on the patterns and trends observed in the locus of points.

5. What are some tools or techniques used to find a locus of points?

There are various tools and techniques that can be used to find a locus of points, depending on the specific relationship or condition being investigated. Some common ones include algebraic equations, geometric constructions, and graphing software.